Author Topic: Notification when camera is offline  (Read 3352 times)

brokencircuit85

• View Profile
« on: April 23, 2013, 02:19:54 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to figure out a way to be notified in the event that iCam can't connect to a given IP camera after a certain number of attempts. There are many reasons for wanting this functionality, such as:

-- If a camera goes offline from the  network, I can know if it must be reset
-- If there's other network or power interruptions, being notified at least gives me a clue, so that I can check on it and not go weeks at a time without any monitoring.

I have two strategies for doing this:
-- Do this via the computer on-site running iCam source
-- Do this via an outside computer or iOS device (iCam for an iOS device, and [?] software on a computer)

iCam source records motion events, and can notify you of motion events, but I don't think iCam source has functionality to repeatedly ping a camera or to notify you if it can't ping a given camera, right? I am thinking I'll have to figure this out via an alternate piece of software.

I have Indigo for Mac. Now I'm curious if I can use Indigo for Mac to monitor cameras in an alternate location, assuming that I know the iCam username and password... a whole other can of worms. Thoughts appreciated!

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 09:36:49 AM »
The iCamSource does continually try to connect to a disconnected IP camera, I believe about once every 5 seconds. Additionally, if the iCamSource is connected to an IP camera and then the camera goes offline you should see a "Network Camera Offline" image in iCam when you connect. Additionally, if you have motion detection turned on and are receiving motion detection notifications you should get a standard motion detection notification when it goes offline. If you are also recording motion events you can go back and see how often the camera went offline and came back again.

brokencircuit85

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 10:40:06 AM »
Interesting, so assuming the following:

-- The camera is indoors in a room that no one *should ever* enter (so no motion should ever occur)
-- iCam will record motion events with 2 or more frames detected
-- Notifications are turned on,

then if the camera goes offline for some reason, I should be notified as a motion event, with 1 frame of something, and 1 frame of "black".. right?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 12:36:31 PM »
Not if the motion event threshold is 2, no. Motion events are recordings of motion, or change in the view, so if it goes from the room view to the Network Camera Offline image, that will be 1 image, which will get deleted by the threshold setting.