Author Topic: Gave up on icam 6 months ago - support no help  (Read 3812 times)

steeltgiers

• View Profile
Gave up on icam 6 months ago - support no help
« on: January 05, 2010, 11:50:02 AM »
Hey guys,

I have went round and round with support 4 months ago trying to get my icam to work. I went through 20 emails, did everything support asked me to do, I gave the support people my IP so they could look at there logs it did no good. I decided to give this thing a try again, I have changed out my user login name and password several times, made sure they match but everything they did has not helped get this thing working. It used to work fine before all these new updates. Now I am trying to get this thing working again and still the same BS:

"One or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker Server could not be connected too"

I am sure I am going to have to provide my IP again start all over again and whatever else they through at me. IS there anyone here who just gave up on this application because of the same issue? Did you bother to keep getting the run around to end up with the same old messages:

"One or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker Server could not be connected too"

I would just delete it, but it was fun to use and since I did pay for it, I would like this issue to be resolved. Can anyone give me any help that goes above what the generic support and generic support protocol can gives its customers to help me resolve this?

Thanks

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Gave up on icam 6 months ago - support no help
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 01:06:15 PM »
Since SKJM, LLC consists of just Jay and myself, you're going to be talking to the same folks as last time, namely me. :)

Are you able to connect via WiFi from the same local network, if available? Or do you receive the Source Connection Error when connecting via both local WiFi and 3G? - http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=403.0

The only other users that have had issues with the Source Connection Error over 3G that we have not been able to do anything for were the few that had a certain type of Belkin router that does not forward ports properly, but if I recall correctly:

- You connect your computer directly to your DSL modem/router, and there is no other router on your network.
- You checked the Port Range checkbox in the iCamSource and forwarded UDP port range 12000-12100 in your modem/router to the computer running the iCamSource.
- You tried the portchecker.net link to check port 12000 and it was reported as OPEN.

If there is anything there that is incorrect, please let me know.

steeltgiers

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 10:48:30 AM »
Hi Stefan,

I remember you now. Basically its nothing to do with my end. I have tried this application (iCamSource)from my moms computer, my home computer, my work computer, my friends computer, next door neighbors computer, even from my battle buddies computer from the Army. My home system is the same as its been since 3 years ago, as back then when I first downloaded this app. It worked fine, so I am not sure why you or support would assume its a configuration error or my router or anything on my end. It used to work before apple went to 3.x OS and before your app went to push on motion. So let me ask you this, I do not have push on motion installed would this be the problem?

I have port forwarded even when I didnt need to port forward, it used to work without port forwarding, at your suggestion, I port forwarded and still nothing has worked. Anyway, it has to be on your end, I remember getting very frustrated with you guys last year and often wondered if you guys just canned my IP because of my demeanor?   LOL

Still looking for a solution after 9 months thanks!

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 12:32:28 PM »
iCam and the iCamSource use NAT traversal via UDP hole punching to connect to one another: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAT_traversal - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UDP_hole_punching

From the articles:

"Many techniques exist [for NAT traversal], but no single method works in every situation since NAT behavior is not standardized."

"UDP hole punching will not work with symmetric NAT devices (also known as bi-directional NAT) which tend to be found in large corporate networks."

When iPhone OS 3.0 was released, iPhones running connecting to the AT&T network suddenly connected to the 3G/EDGE/GPRS network via symmetric NAT.

iCam and the iCamSource contain logic that can still make a connection when ONE side (either iCam or the iCamSource) is connecting via symmetric NAT, but not when BOTH sides are. If your home router is symmetric NAT, then once iPhone OS 3.0 hit and AT&T went symmetric NAT you would no longer be able to connect unless you forwarded the appropriate UDP ports in your router to the computer running the iCamSource.

We have recently (within the past month or so) discovered that some Belkin routers have a bug in their port forwarding logic where they still respond via symmetric NAT even when ports are forwarded. (Basically the response packet is sent back from a different port than it was received on, which is incorrect.) The portchecker.net reports it as OPEN (because the incoming packets are received) but the responses are invalid and never received by iCam.

We have attempted to contact Belkin about this issue but have yet to receive a response.

So, do you possibly have a Belkin? Specifically a F5D8236-4? ;)

steeltgiers

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 01:14:32 PM »
No, I have a Motorola that came from AT&T.   ???

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 04:18:03 PM »
That's right, you have a DSL modem/router.

If you have forwarded ports in your router and the portchecker.net link is reporting port 12000 as OPEN, then one thing I can try is to connect to your iCamSource using my development version of the iCamSource that allows me to further diagnose the problem.

If you could run your iCamSource with a temporary test login and password that you could e-mail to support@skjm.com (or PM me in the forum) I can try to connect via both my WiFi and 3G to see if I can connect or if I replicate your results.

auroraque

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 01:29:44 AM »
I had a 2wire router and everything was fine until it broke. It was replaced with a Motorola Netopia 3347-02 Wireless router from ATT and now cant figure out the port forwarding issue. Great program btw. Any suggestions with this router...seems like same problem.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2010, 11:44:53 AM »
auroraque is getting technical support for this problem through email.  If there is any new information regarding the problem, I'll post it in this thread.

punkie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 02:00:56 PM »
Delete it,reboot and re-install, it wont cost you anything but a little time
that will take care of your problem!!!

Good luck