Author Topic: iCamsource and 4 Foscam cameras kills my wifi bandwidth  (Read 3345 times)

gregorydjohn

• View Profile
iCamsource and 4 Foscam cameras kills my wifi bandwidth
« on: April 11, 2014, 09:01:36 AM »
I apologize if this is already discussed in another thread, but I was unable to find it.

My wifi router is for AT&T U-Verse and is a 3800HGV-B. Previously, I had one Foscam FI8910W set up wirelessly and it worked without any issues. Last week I added three more Foscam FI8910W cameras, all set wirelessly and now it seems that it's killed my wifi bandwidth for my other wireless devices; e.g., iPhones, iPads, &c.

Things I've tried:
- I did a speed test from a wired computer and it was fine. With iCamsource stopped, I get identical results from a speed test from an iPad. With iCamsource on, the speed test shows ping at about 5x, download speeds at 25%, and sometimes zero upload speeds.
- I lowered the frame rate on all four cameras to 1 FPS.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to have to stop iCamsource every time I want to use wifi for other devices.

Thanks in advance,

Greg

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: iCamsource and 4 Foscam cameras kills my wifi bandwidth
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 06:56:06 PM »
The network usage is entirely dependent on the framerate from the cameras, so you should have seen a noticeable difference from lowering the framerate.

Did changing the framerate have any effect at all? If not, please double check to make sure the new framerate settings were saved.

If the settings were saved correctly, please send a screenshot of the iCamSource Preference pane with each camera selected to support@skjm.com, so we can verify the settings.

gregorydjohn

• View Profile
iCamsource and 4 Foscam cameras kills my wifi bandwidth
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 10:36:42 PM »
Thanks for the reply, SKJM Support. Yes, all four cameras had saved the 1 FPS setting.

I ended up going with a different solution. I took an old Belkin N Wireless router and added it (LAN to LAN) as a second wireless router to only service the four cameras. My main wireless network is back to fast speeds and I'm able to run the cameras at Max FPS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: iCamsource and 4 Foscam cameras kills my wifi bandwidth
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 05:10:08 PM »
Glad you found a solution that works for you.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or concerns.