Author Topic: Feature clarification/request  (Read 2091 times)

Derrick

• View Profile
Feature clarification/request
« on: September 25, 2011, 03:49:13 PM »
Hi,
Just downloaded and setup on my mac w/foscam ip camera. Everything working good.
I am familiar with similar motion sensing from Linux/Motion software in the past. Are there any plans or thoughts to reduce bandwidth requirements between the ip camera and pc/Mac by leveraging motion sensing capabilities in the device instead of streaming all video to the pc/Mac and comparing frames? Would be great to only capture stream when either live viewing or when motion is detected.

Thanks for your time and for supporting this great product.

Derrick

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Feature clarification/request
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 09:08:35 PM »
Thank you for your post.

That is not something that we have previously looked into, but we will add it to our list of potential features to implement in the future.

sffan

• View Profile
Re: Feature clarification/request
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 04:38:32 PM »

Would be great to only capture stream when either live viewing or when motion is detected.

This would be a welcome feature.

I have a Squeezebox Music Server system in my house (5 devices) all connected with Belkin PowerLine Adapters. When I try to add a fifth camera to my regular 4 cameras, the furthest Squeezebox device from my iMac i7 starts to rebuffer endlessly. My iMac then freezes every day and have to do a Power restart. All this is 'cured' by removing the fifth camera or just 'stopping' iCam Source.

Activity Monitor shows just 6% CPU usage when iCam Source is running and zero when 'stopped'. Network data received/sec is approximately 2.7 MB with 5 cameras and 2.2 MB with 4 cameras. This also drops to zero when iCam Source is stopped.

Seems strange as my computer is a 'mighty i7' but this is my setup. Having the cameras transmit nothing unless actively viewed or recording motion would be great!

Regards