Author Topic: Troubleshooting 102 - Source Connection Error  (Read 237177 times)

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Troubleshooting 102 - Source Connection Error
« Reply #165 on: September 28, 2011, 02:32:14 PM »
I'm not sure what may have changed but if it is no longer working and you are receiving the "UPnP may not be enabled" status message you will need to enable it in order for the auto-configuration logic to work.

If your router doesn't support UPnP or NAT-PMP, the only thing left to try is to manually configure your router for port forwarding. There's more information about using port forwarding with iCamSource here: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402.0

If you have any problems with the instructions on that page, please send me the Brand/Model of your router so I can find port forwarding instructions for your particular router.

medway

• View Profile
« Reply #166 on: September 30, 2011, 05:38:23 AM »
I have enabled upnp and thats what it still says!

medway

• View Profile
« Reply #167 on: September 30, 2011, 05:43:04 AM »
My router is netgear dg834gt but as I said if this means that I have to have a static ip address then im not interested in this solution

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: September 30, 2011, 04:39:58 PM »
Here is a link to the port forwarding instructions for your particular router: http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Netgear/DG834GT/default.htm

Following these instructions:

Forward the port range 12000-12100 (UDP protocol)  to the computer running the iCamSource.

Once this is done and you've enabled port forwarding in the iCamSource program, you should be able to access your iCamSource.

To enable port forwarding in the iCamSource program, follow the directions in this forum post: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=402

medway

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 01, 2011, 04:37:19 AM »
Yea this says I need a static ip address which I'm
Not interested in! I never had to go though all this before so why now?!

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 03, 2011, 05:07:14 PM »
Have you tried rebooting your router since this issue occurred?

Also, you do not need to set a static IP address. You can follow the rest of the instructions on the portforward site to see if it works.

pidge1114

• View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 07, 2011, 07:23:17 AM »
I am having this error and can't figure it out.

I can connect if I am on the same Wifi network as the computers, but if I go to a different wifi OR 3G, I get the error. 

I have two computers at home and can see both of them through my ipad while at home, but can't see them from work.  Additionally, I can see my work computer on my iPad while at work on their Wifi, but can't see it from home.

I opened the specified ports on my Actiontec Fios router at home (12000-12500) but that doesn't seem to help...plus that doesn't explain why I can't see my work computer from 3G unless work also has some type of firewall restrictions that I cannot change.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 09, 2011, 01:37:24 PM »
Thank you for your post.

Your work's network may be restricted and not allowing the iCam traffic. Work Wi-Fi networks can be very restrictive. Often, they will only allow web browsing and email. 

One thing you can try is to enable the "Auto-Config Router" option in iCamSource. That will attempt to use UPnP to open a port in the router so that your computer can communicate with remote networks. It's most likely that your work's network won't allow the Auto-Config Router option to work, but it's worth trying.

Also, please quit or disable all firewall software on the computer running iCamSource (temporarily) to see if iCam starts working. If it does, we can configure the firewall to work with iCam.

pidge1114

• View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 11, 2011, 08:04:40 AM »
OK, all my OS X firewall software is off, and enabled the 'auto-config router' but still no go.  I'm not too concerned with the work issue so I'll leave that out of the mix.  If I could get it so I can see my home computers from work, I'd be happy.

elkskins_j

• View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 11, 2011, 09:33:09 PM »
i like everyone else is having trouble connecting to my icamsource via 3g or while not connected to same wifi network as source is running from.  connect fine via wifi, i have two cams and cannot access either one over 3g.  i have a dlink dir-655 router and have the virtual server up for port 12001. in the icamsource software both cameras work fine and i have the "auto config router" box checked with the message " upnp success 12001->12001 ".  everything is set up correctly as far as i know. one of my cams is an ip cam that is also working correctly in icamsource, and i can connect to it via 3g through safari browser, but not the app.  ive had this problem for prolly a year or better but just gave up before after numerous attempts to fix the same issue. now i want to use it again and wondered if there was a fix but it seems as if the answer is "NO".  my iphones 3g ip addy starts with 198 and i remember seeing something about how this may cause issues.  how come there has been no fix/workaround for this issue in over a year? i use to love this app and brag about it to everyone, even got some people to buy this app, been using it for a long time before it quit working via 3g.  please update or fix the issue that EVERYONE is having. i am sure there is a way to get this to work again.  i find it strange that AT&T would block this app somehow but allow a bizzillion other apps to work.

pidge1114

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 12, 2011, 06:46:36 AM »
i like everyone else is having trouble connecting to my icamsource via 3g or while not connected to same wifi network as source is running from.  connect fine via wifi, i have two cams and cannot access either one over 3g.  i have a dlink dir-655 router and have the virtual server up for port 12001. in the icamsource software both cameras work fine and i have the "auto config router" box checked with the message " upnp success 12001->12001 ".  everything is set up correctly as far as i know. one of my cams is an ip cam that is also working correctly in icamsource, and i can connect to it via 3g through safari browser, but not the app.  ive had this problem for prolly a year or better but just gave up before after numerous attempts to fix the same issue. now i want to use it again and wondered if there was a fix but it seems as if the answer is "NO".  my iphones 3g ip addy starts with 198 and i remember seeing something about how this may cause issues.  how come there has been no fix/workaround for this issue in over a year? i use to love this app and brag about it to everyone, even got some people to buy this app, been using it for a long time before it quit working via 3g.  please update or fix the issue that EVERYONE is having. i am sure there is a way to get this to work again.  i find it strange that AT&T would block this app somehow but allow a bizzillion other apps to work.

I agree.  This app was great when it first came out, and now it's more frustrating than anything else.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 12, 2011, 08:24:12 AM »
connect fine via wifi, i have two cams and cannot access either one over 3g.  i have a dlink dir-655 router and have the virtual server up for port 12001. in the icamsource software both cameras work fine and i have the "auto config router" box checked with the message " upnp success 12001->12001 "

@elkskins_j - In your router's settings, click the Advanced menu item along the top, and then click the Firewall Settings link on the left. If the "Enable SPI" checkbox is checked, uncheck it. Also make sure that the UDP Endpoint Filtering is Address Restricted or Endpoint Independent.

If disabling SPI or adjusting the endpoint filtering does not fix things for you, please see below.

Manually forwarding ports your router (or setting up a Virtual Server entry) should involve more than one port (we recommend a range of 12000-12100) and should not be combined with the Auto-Config Router checkbox. Do you also have the Port Forward Range checkbox enabled in your iCamSource? If so, I would suggest unchecking it, removing the virtual server entry in your router, and just leaving the Auto-Config Router checkbox checked in the iCamSource.

how come there has been no fix/workaround for this issue in over a year? i use to love this app and brag about it to everyone, even got some people to buy this app, been using it for a long time before it quit working via 3g.  please update or fix the issue that EVERYONE is having. i am sure there is a way to get this to work again.  i find it strange that AT&T would block this app somehow but allow a bizzillion other apps to work.

Since there are so many different types of routers, firewalls, wireless networks, and network configurations in the world, iCam doesn't always "just work" for every user without some additional configuration. I can guarantee that iCam does "just work" for the vast majority of our users. "Everyone" isn't having this problem, but since this is the Support Forum where people with problems come to post, it is one of the the most common issues.

OK, all my OS X firewall software is off, and enabled the 'auto-config router' but still no go.  I'm not too concerned with the work issue so I'll leave that out of the mix.  If I could get it so I can see my home computers from work, I'd be happy.

If you enabled the Auto-Config Router checkbox at home, what status message appeared when you clicked Start? - http://skjm.com/icam/help/troubleshooting.php#icam3

elkskins_j

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 12, 2011, 07:29:24 PM »
@elkskins_j - In your router's settings, click the Advanced menu item along the top, and then click the Firewall Settings link on the left. If the "Enable SPI" checkbox is checked, uncheck it. Also make sure that the UDP Endpoint Filtering is Address Restricted or Endpoint Independent.

If disabling SPI or adjusting the endpoint filtering does not fix things for you, please see below.

Manually forwarding ports your router (or setting up a Virtual Server entry) should involve more than one port (we recommend a range of 12000-12100) and should not be combined with the Auto-Config Router checkbox. Do you also have the Port Forward Range checkbox enabled in your iCamSource? If so, I would suggest unchecking it, removing the virtual server entry in your router, and just leaving the Auto-Config Router checkbox checked in the iCamSource.

ok, spi was not checked, endpoint on udp is end independent, i used the port forwarding instead of virt server with 12000-12100 and did not use auto config checked in icam source, then i tried it every other possible combination of ways , including removing all entries in my router and just leaving auto config checked, still no matter what i do or try i cannot connect via 3g.  i remember trying all this before with no luck, i have even removed my router and hooked this pc running icam source up to cable modem and still no good.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 12, 2011, 08:55:09 PM »
ok, spi was not checked, endpoint on udp is end independent, i used the port forwarding instead of virt server with 12000-12100 and did not use auto config checked in icam source, then i tried it every other possible combination of ways , including removing all entries in my router and just leaving auto config checked, still no matter what i do or try i cannot connect via 3g.  i remember trying all this before with no luck, i have even removed my router and hooked this pc running icam source up to cable modem and still no good.

What is the make and model of your cable modem?

When you forwarded a range of ports (12000-12100) in your router, did you try the port checker tool to see whether or not the port forwarding settings were working as expected?

If you visit this link ... http://portchecker.net/udp.php?p=12000 ... it will open a webpage that contains a Java Applet in it (similar to iCamWeb) that will be able to listen on port 12000 for a UDP packet to be sent from a server on the Internet to your computer. If your port forwarding is functioning correctly then you should see a message saying that the port is open. If it is not functioning correctly, it should say that it is blocked.

If you could go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ from the computer running the iCamSource and e-mail support@skjm.com what it says your external IP address is then we can attempt to look it up in the Broker Server logs and hopefully troubleshoot the problem. Please reference this forum post in your e-mail.

elkskins_j

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 12, 2011, 09:50:24 PM »
udp port is open

cable modem is an ARRIS

i emailed u my IP