Author Topic: weather proof IP cam  (Read 3488 times)

dutchie

• View Profile
weather proof IP cam
« on: April 26, 2010, 03:58:50 AM »
Hello,

Does anyone have tips for a weather/water proof wireless IP cam working with iCam...

thanx in advance

Ronald
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 06:03:22 AM by dutchie »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: weather proof IP cam
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010, 10:57:11 AM »
Unfortunately, all of the cameras that we have tested with iCam are indoor cameras, so we can't really give any advice on outdoor cameras.  Axis, Canon, and Panasonic cameras are known to work with iCam, and they have several outdoor models.

digitalfx

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 05:24:23 PM »
You can always buy a standard IP cam and put it in a weatherproof enclosure.

http://www.supercircuits.com/Enclosures/ENCOD-HB

Douggy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 03:43:28 AM »
I've done this.
Just be carefull for the night vision. Leds reflect in the enclosure 's glass and picture is bad in the night.  ;)
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 03:58:57 AM by Douggy »

hoodedcrow

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 10:40:21 AM »
Unfortunately, all of the cameras that we have tested with iCam are indoor cameras, so we can't really give any advice on outdoor cameras.  Axis, Canon, and Panasonic cameras are known to work with iCam, and they have several outdoor models.

Well, I have a Panasonic Bl-C10A mounted in a bird feeder. A Lowe's buy, it looks like a little red house/school house, with windows. I blacked out one window, reflection, replaced the plastic clear window pane, can't use it,  with high quality plexiglass. I drilled out the bottom to accept PVC pipe. This is a bit of a problem because the wind can make it move. I would now just buy the metal pole and drill out a hole at the bottom for the wires.  I have the power and cat 5 cable running down it. The cat 5 is connected to a broadband over power device you can buy. Note: I have one wireless webcam, same vendor, it stinks.. stick if you can to wire. Make sure you turn off the access light on the webcam, again reflection at night off the plexiglass, and be advised that the heat sensor on a webcam will not work through plexiglass. I do have the heat sensor on and setup up to send me a notice. This is in case someone tries to open up bird feeder. Then again, I have another webcam over looking/protecting this one.  I use webcam software on my Mac as the main software that can pickup movement.  Been using it for 3 years, no problems, in Virginia summer heat, and cold winters

http://www.lowes.com/pd_237349-1202-9094_4294822985_?productId=1067097&Ntt=bird%20feeders&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl_Feeders_4294822985__s?Ntk=i_products$Ntt=bird%20feeders

Note: you have to cut out the cross white piece, leaving the white frame,  in the window used for the cam. Gives it an open door look. :)

So far, caught neighbor and his friend stealing newspaper... Some woman walking dog on Sunday, looking around and then stealing paper, amazing, isn't it..... Bike thieves.... stole neighbor's bikes... nice movie of them, given to the police.  One was walking up into my house, pretending to be on cell phone, cam caught them, then one of my 45 lb dog, greeted them at the door. She was not amused. Yes, I live in a good neighbor.. Nicer things to steal, the nicer the neighbor.

PS, be advised, the Panasonic is for indoor use. There are operation temp ranges given on most webcams. As I say, I ignored them, with this setup... So, you do take a risk, and the risk is yours,  and,  my guess is,  the vendor warranty isn't worth anything if used this way.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 10:46:28 AM by hoodedcrow »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:14:34 AM »
Excellent post, thanks! :)

I should do the same thing to see which neighbors don't clean up after their dogs when walking them through our yard.  ::)