Author Topic: Multiple PC's w/webcams one iCam  (Read 8412 times)

thewebbie

• View Profile
Multiple PC's w/webcams one iCam
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:17:13 PM »
Hello

I have multiple pc's in the house each with a web cam. How can I connect one icam to the other pc's so I don't need multiple icam logins?

Is there a software to turn a web cam on another pc into a wifi cam?

Thanks

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Multiple PC's w/webcams one iCam
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »
You can view multiple cameras from different computers simultaneously if you use the exact same login and password for all of the cameras.  When you use that same login/password in iCam on your iPhone, it will show all of the cameras that are using that exact login/password.

There are programs that can make a USB webcam available on the network, similar to an IP camera. The only one we know of is called WebcamXP, but we've never used it so we don't know how well it works.

thewebbie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 08:36:51 PM »
Thanks! I didn't think about using the same login. Will test it this weekend.

ICAMBONE

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2011, 11:26:30 AM »
did it work? I am about to attempt the same thing.
multiple pcs with built in webcams all in dif rooms but would like to moniter all.

also is there any concern of the computers over heating?

will the motion detection work on the built in webcams?

I am so excited to get home and get this installed on all of the computers.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2011, 10:06:50 PM »
I use multiple computers with one login...works like a champ. I do not use uPNP on my router though, so I had to assign static IP addresses for the computers and set up manual port forwarding. It's rock solid.

You shouldn't have any issues with your computers overheating unless they have poor cooling/air circulation and the % usage of your processor stays high. I run 3 IP cameras easily off of a computer that is 2-3 years old...percent usage is around 20%. With that being said, USB cameras will use a significantly higher percentage...especially if you enable audio. You can check the processor load by using the task manager in Windows (Ctrl + Alt + Del). I don't know how to check on a Mac, but I'm sure it's possible.

The motion detection works by analyzing the images for significant pixel changes...so if you can add the camera as a source in icamsource, it can detect motion.

I hope you have as much fun with it as I do. I freakin' love iCam. Home security...doggy cam...wife monitor (haha)...all in one! And the SKJM guys provide awesome support, and they constantly improve the product.

ICAMBONE

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2011, 07:46:48 AM »
how about getting the pictures like the motion push notification sent to my email address? I have poor data service here and would like to receive an email of the picture. do you know how to do that?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2011, 09:40:44 AM »
how about getting the pictures like the motion push notification sent to my email address? I have poor data service here and would like to receive an email of the picture. do you know how to do that?

An e-mail notification feature has been requested in the past and is currently on our list of potential features to implement in the future.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2011, 07:20:34 PM »
You could try Dropbox, which is free. The pictures are not sent via e-mail, but they are stored off-site. It doesn't really serve as a notification alternative per se, but if anything does ever happen, you will have off-site backup of your motion events.

If you are using an IP camera, most of them have an e-mail feature embedded. For USB cameras, you could clone it using ManyCam (a free program that allows more than one program to access your webcam at a time)...then use the free software that came with the camera to send motion notification e-mails (most of the software that comes with USB cameras have that option). This is not ideal, but could be a workaround until SKJM implements the feature.

ICAMBONE

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 08:31:21 AM »
After I get this problem resolved I should be good to go.  I have 2 built in webcams and 1 USB webcam all three are running right now.   If I am on a wifi network (not just my own) I can see the live feeds and get the push motion notifications but here at work I have 3G and am unable to see the live feeds and there for since I can't see those I can't get to the screen that shows motion events.   I am receiving push notifications for motion detected and am concerned someone is in there.  I have dogs but they are not able to get into the motion range. I would really like to see what prompted the motion push notifications.   Any idea on any changes I can make to see the live feeds on 3G and or a desktop application that would enable me to see my cameras? once I'm able to see these from my phone or 3G this will bent favorite app by far.   Really want to see what is going on.   Please help someone.  And sorry if this is under wrong topic.   

ICAMBONE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:45:57 PM »
You could try Dropbox, which is free. The pictures are not sent via e-mail, but they are stored off-site. It doesn't really serve as a notification alternative per se, but if anything does ever happen, you will have off-site backup of your motion events.

If you are using an IP camera, most of them have an e-mail feature embedded. For USB cameras, you could clone it using ManyCam (a free program that allows more than one program to access your webcam at a time)...then use the free software that came with the camera to send motion notification e-mails (most of the software that comes with USB cameras have that option). This is not ideal, but could be a workaround until SKJM implements the feature.
I will look into dropbox and manycam... thank you for your suggestion and help.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 08:38:10 PM »
After I get this problem resolved I should be good to go.  I have 2 built in webcams and 1 USB webcam all three are running right now.   If I am on a wifi network (not just my own) I can see the live feeds and get the push motion notifications but here at work I have 3G and am unable to see the live feeds and there for since I can't see those I can't get to the screen that shows motion events.   I am receiving push notifications for motion detected and am concerned someone is in there.  I have dogs but they are not able to get into the motion range. I would really like to see what prompted the motion push notifications.   Any idea on any changes I can make to see the live feeds on 3G and or a desktop application that would enable me to see my cameras? once I'm able to see these from my phone or 3G this will bent favorite app by far.   Really want to see what is going on.   Please help someone.  And sorry if this is under wrong topic.   

What error message are you seeing when you are unable to connect: No Sources Found, Broker Connection Error, or Source Connection Error?

If you're seeing the Source Connection Error, have you tried checking the Auto-Config Router checkbox in the iCamSource before clicking the Start button? If it still doesn't work with that option enabled, what status message appears next to the Auto-Config Router checkbox in iCamSource.

ICAMBONE

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2011, 11:04:24 AM »
its so aggrivating to see motion detection pushes but not able to see what is going on.

on the iphone the message says "source connection error"
but i am receiving the motion pushes

I have selected auto router config and then start

next to it says something like "UNPN etc......"  but i am not there to see what exactly it says.

tonight i will let you know exactly what it says

thank you for your interest and wanting to help

ICAMBONE

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2011, 11:26:00 AM »
if i could get this thing to work would be my favorite app by far

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2011, 08:32:39 PM »
Do you have uPNP enabled in the router's settings?

ICAMBONE

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2011, 09:42:01 AM »
Do you have uPNP enabled in the router's settings?
I don't know and since I am unable to view via 3G I would assume I do not.  I just wish I was able to view my cameras when I am away from home.  I will continue to work on it. Thank you for your interest in my problem and I hope to get it resolved by this weekend I have the upnp number and associated message and will try to figure out and get it posted in case you are able to decipher my problem quicker than I.  So I need the unpn number anssociated message and to determine if my router upnp is enabled correct? How do I determine my router settings?