Author Topic: which cam should i buy?  (Read 3175 times)

Mischadbs

• View Profile
which cam should i buy?
« on: April 22, 2010, 03:21:52 PM »
I'm gonna buy a few cams to use with iCam.
Are there cams you would recommend for use with iCam?
I want simple cheap cams with reasonable quality.
I was thinking about this one http://www.microsoft.com/uk/hardware/digitalcommunication/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=128&active_tab=systemRequirements.
I'm gonna buy 3 or 4 so i want to be sure it works with iCam.
Thanks in advance!

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: which cam should i buy?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 10:23:57 PM »
We use the Logitech Pro 9000 ... It's a good webcam, although maybe not that cheap.

Any webcam that is compatible with your computer should work. :)

delude

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 09:59:53 AM »
Do you think an IR camera like this would work?

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15756

Obviously it would need one of the USB adapters too.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
As long as the USB dongle is recognized by the operating system as a valid webcam, it should work in iCamSource.  iCamSource gets the list of video sources by asking the operating system for a list of connected webcams.

delude

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 03:35:00 PM »
Do you guys just use iCam around your homes, or offices?

I think I'd really like to get something decent to put in the window on my second floor (the distance to my computer is fine, but it's whether to try and go for something with IR or not!)  Have you experimented with any IR cams/webcams?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2010, 01:35:11 AM »
We've tested with two Airlink101 cameras that include IR night vision.

AirLink101 SkyIPCam500W - http://www.airlink101.com/products/aicn500w.php
AirLink101 SkyIPCam747W - http://www.airlink101.com/products/aicn747w.php

They seem to work pretty well.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 03:18:01 PM »
I use a cheap, wired IP camera (D-Link DCS-910) and it has been amazing...no lockups, etc. You just need to take into account several things before you make your decision(s):

1) Wired or wireless? And if wireless, make sure that you read reviews concerning the signal strength/quality. If wired, can you run the cat5 AND can you run the power over the cat5 (more expensive) or is there an electrical outlet very near where you want to add the camera(s)?
2) Do you need audio? IP cameras won't provide audio (iCam limitation)
3) Do you need low-light vision? Again, read reviews and make sure the camera actually has a quality low-light image. Consider IR lamps to improve things...maybe a motion detected IR lamp?
4) Overall image quality? I'm guessing that since icamsource narrows the image size down to 640x480, it has to work harder (slowing down your computer potentially) to change camera images from higher resolutions to 640x480. With that being said, if you use a program called ManyCam, it is probably possible to use the camera's original motion detection software to store the higher-res images and allow icamsource to manipulate/save a 2nd set of lower-res images. Remember that some cameras (such as my D-Link) have a focus adjustment piece that you can rotate. So if you fire up your cam and it's blurry, try rotating the piece around the lens.
5) Where are you physically locating the camera? Remember that areas near windows and obviously any area outdoors are going to generally be exposed to larger temperature variations (think condensation inside camera) and possibly exposure to water from rain, etc. Do you need a weatherproof and/or heated enclosure? Do you need to leave the window blinds up to reduce the temperature variations? Or if you don't want to worry about that, yet still place them in questionable areas, you'll want to plan on replacing the cameras occasionally.