Author Topic: For Android?  (Read 8043 times)

Drew22

• View Profile
For Android?
« on: April 23, 2010, 11:14:26 AM »
I love the app for my ipod touch.  But....I don't have an Iphone :(

Therefore, I can only watch my camera if I'm in a wifi hotspot.

Does anyone know of a similiar app for my Android phone that works as well as iCam?  or if iCam will ever come out for Android?

Or if there are any apps for Android that allow you to use iphone apps?  OR (last one) any way of sending my 3G signal from my Android to my ipod touch?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: For Android?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 02:21:02 PM »
We're currently looking into developing apps (including iCam) on other platforms, but no decisions have been made yet.  If we do develop for another mobile platform, it will probably be Android because it's App market seems to be the largest after the iPhone Appstore.

We don't currently own any Android devices, so I don't really know what apps are available on the app market.

a042349

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2010, 07:09:57 AM »
OK, here's another take on this same subject.

I bought and really like iCam for my iPhone. However I also use an Android phone (swap SIM's and use both phones equally).

I have a good generic IP/Webcam viewer on Android that can detect/use hundreds of different camera sources. I use Yawcam SW on my PC's and connect to those streams on my Android, but I really like icam on the iphone platform.

So my question is this: Until you develop a native Android iCam viewer application, is there some way I can connect to the icamsource streams (opening ports in my firewall and mapoing them as I do for Yawcam) from my Android phone using the cam viewer I purchased on that platform.

That way I could run just icamsource (dumping yawcam) on all my three PC's (4 cams total) and connect to them as designed when I'm on my iPhone using iCam, but connect to them manually/directly (TCP port mapping) when I'm on my Android phone using the IP Viewer program I purchased.

I just need to know what the direct "stream" url of a given PC running iCamsource is (ie 192.168.1.50:8080 or 192.168.1.50/icamstream.mjpeg, etc) and what if any generic cam output it might most closely emulate.

And yes I tried icamweb, and it's not very good on Android. I have four cams and the Android app i bought is very much like yours and is a slick/convenient way to view multiple cams at once.

This would be a great stopgap solution for me until you develop a native Android viewer.

Thanks for any help you could offer.

-Joel

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2010, 11:38:21 AM »
a042349 - You can't do that with iCamSource because it uses a proprietary UDP-based protocol (not HTTP).  However, there are programs available that allow PC webcams to become available over HTTP, such as WebcamXP (http://www.webcamxp.com).  You may run into a problem running iCamSource and WebcamXP simultaneously for the same webcam.  In that case you can use a program called ManyCam, which allows a webcam to be shared by multiple video capture programs.

a042349

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2010, 07:10:37 PM »
Thanks. I just tried the "ManyCam" app and it solved my problem. iCam starting for my iPhone and YawCam for my Android (using "IP Camera" that I purchased).

Still would like (and buy) a native Android offering.

-Joel

a042349

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 04:33:47 PM »
I just tried the new iCamSource and it's very nice upgrade since the 1.4.x version I'd last used. I hadn't been using iCam (been living on Android and ManyCam seemed buggy).

Any hints about an Android offering (would love to beta for you) as my current iPhone use is likely temporary and I'll be living on Android again soon.

Otherwise, still love your product, and if you ever do Android you have at least one guaranteed sale!

:)

-JS

Kevan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2010, 11:25:05 AM »
I would love iCam for Android. I too use 2 phones. My iPhone is my business phone as i work for AT&T and they give me a free phone. My Android phone is on T-Mobile and it is my personal phone. Normally i only take my iPhone with me to work. But since i needed a program like this i have been having to take both phones with me.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2010, 04:48:23 PM »
We're working towards a 1.0 version of iCam for Android now. :)

Kevan

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 10:15:54 PM »
NICE!!!