Author Topic: Very slow refresh rate: 1 frame every 15 secs  (Read 2630 times)

motifone

• View Profile
Very slow refresh rate: 1 frame every 15 secs
« on: March 22, 2009, 10:45:22 PM »
Greetings.

I just bought iCam and, regrettably, I'm experiencing what apparently isn't a normal frame for this software.  My info:

Running an Apple iSight firewire camera on my Mac Pro tower, running the latest software, for OSX and icamSource.  Computer connected to internet via Ethernet.  I have an Apple airport basestation sending out a wireless signal.

I am using iCam on my 3G iphone with all the latest updates.  When connected to the 3G network (full bars), the picture on my iPhone refreshes about once every 15 seconds.  Connected via my home wifi (or even the neighbors), picture refreshes about once every 12 seconds or more.  I do hear a pretty clean, steady stream of audio.  Frame rate seems unaffected whether audio is turned on or off.

I'm not expecting realtime streaming of picture :), but I've heard that the picture should be refreshing more like every 1-2 seconds.  Right now, it's not very practical.

Any ideas?  Perhaps someone can connect to my cam and see what they get?  Or is there a test camera belonging to someone else I could try connecting to.

I am going to pull out my laptop and try the camera on that one, see if there's any change.  I'll report back.

Thanks for any help!
Steve

motifone

• View Profile
Re: Very slow refresh rate: 1 frame every 15 secs
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 11:23:53 PM »
Follow up.  Tried a couple more tests.

Tried broadcasting with my Macbook Pro laptop using the built in cam.  Same slow FPS issue.  It also takes about 10-15 seconds for the camera to pop up in the opening thumbnail window (did the same on my desktop).

Also, tried my wife's Sony laptop... set it up with icamSource and used her built in cam... this time, it worked!  The FPS on the iphone is about 1-2 seconds.  And her Sony is broadcasting over the same wifi network as my Macbook Pro.

Hmmm so there are some sort of settings on my macs that are inhibiting a smooth broadcast (even though the video looks fine in icamSource).

I'll continue to tinker and check back here for ideas :)

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Very slow refresh rate: 1 frame every 15 secs
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 10:15:20 AM »
motifone is getting technical support for this issue through email.  If there is any new information about this issue from the emails, I'll post it in this thread.