Author Topic: Not my Download  (Read 1251 times)

iCamQuestions

• View Profile
Not my Download
« on: May 16, 2012, 05:37:34 PM »
I recently found a virus on my computer, and when searching for the source saw that someone had downloaded iCam Source to my computer. So my question is two-fold. 1. Can I find out who's on the other side, able to view my camera? 2. Is there a possibility of remote control of a computer through your program? Thanks so much.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Not my Download
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 01:57:39 AM »
You should be able to get the username that iCam used, and possibly the password (. I'd think the SKJM guys could use that information, along with maybe your external IP address, to check the logs and get the IP address(es) of people who checked in. If it was a random virus, there are probably many victims out there...and I'd think the same IP address would be used to access all of the victims iCam "accounts." On the other hand, it's equally as possible that someone you know (with access to your computer) installed icamsource. Either way, I hope you uninstalled icamsource. To catch the person responsible, you will likely have to file a police report and they might have to use the courts to compel SKJM and/or the responsible person's Internet provider to POSSIBLY catch the perp. If you have a webcam on your computer, you should strongly consider pursuing this as far as possible...as the perp likely would have pictures of you saved in a remote location. If you were ever undressed in the webcam's view...well, you get the picture.

iCam allows remotely viewing "motion events," which are pictures from your webcam saved on your harddrive...so it acts like a file server for images. It does not allow remote control of the computer. With that being said, if someone wrote a "virus" (a scripted file that you likely allowed to run) that installed icamsource on your computer, it's equally possible that they also configured your system to allow remote connections (through built-in Windows software or through a 3rd party remote control software). It is even possible that they installed a program (using a script file) called ManyCam and configured it to use your computer's desktop as a "camera source," which means the perp could view your actions on your computer (albeit, in a pretty low resolution).

Of course, there are plenty of other possibilities...keyloggers, etc. But the good news is you might have a realistic shot at catching the perp if you are persistent. I'd start by e-mailing the SKJM guys to see what they can/will provide to your (or the police). Good luck...and let us know what happens. Hopefully this will serve as a deterrent to others who would consider doing bad with this awesome program.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Not my Download
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 12:26:42 PM »
If you could go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ from the computer running the iCamSource and send your external IP address to support@skjm.com we can attempt to look it up in the Broker Server logs and hopefully see if there have been any remote connections from iCam. Also, please reference this forum post and your user name in your email.

Was iCamSource actually running on your computer? It does not run by itself (by default).