Author Topic: USB Webcam / WiFi Network IP Camera Recommendations  (Read 268637 times)

erectorset

• View Profile
Re: USB Webcam / WiFi Network IP Camera Recommendations
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2011, 10:06:08 AM »
Bought a Dynex 1.3 MP webcam, but it doesn't show up in the cameras screen, even if I select it as the camera. My internal iSight does, but not the Dynex. It's a standard USB connected webcam.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2011, 10:54:14 PM »
Does the Dynex camera work properly in other video capture programs, such as iChat or Photobooth?

Does the Dynex camera work in iCamSource if you only run the Dynex by itself (i.e. delete the iSight entry in the iCamSource Cameras list)?

erectorset

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2011, 01:27:12 PM »
Works in all other applications, and after a restart and a reloading of the app, works fine now. Perfect. Thanks for the great app!

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2011, 05:00:26 PM »
I'm glad you got it working!

If you have any other issues or questions, please let us know.

blue75

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »
Hello.  I want to link this app to my Mac laptop's built-in camera (monitor the dogs while I'm away from home).  Is there a worry that since I won't be physically using the laptop that it will go into sleep mode and the camera will turn off with it?  Are there any special settings I need to worry about to ensure the camera remains active all day?  Also, is there a danger of the laptop camera "burning out" if I have it going all day long?

Thanks, I plan to buy the app tonight but just figured I'd ask a few questions ahead of time.

Thanks again!

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2012, 11:22:37 PM »
Thank you for your post.

Yes, go to System Preferences>Energy Saver select the "Power Adapter" tab and set the Computer Sleep to "Never"

No, we've not had any reports of the laptop built-in cameras burning out after running all day.

erectorset

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2012, 06:46:25 PM »
Was thinking about buying the D-Link DCS-930L, and what I wondering is, is it easy to connect the camera to iCam. How is the software that the Mac uses for the D-Link? Is it easy to setup and connect to iCam?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2012, 02:34:52 PM »
We haven't tested with that particular camera, but if it outputs MJPEG formatted data, it'll probably work with iCamSource.

When you run iCamSource, you'll need to select the "Ethernet /Wi-Fi" tab because the camera is a network camera, not a USB camera. Then, enter the MJPEG or JPEG URL for your camera.

There is more information about setting up iCam here: http://skjm.com/icam/help/

ajgiov

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 23, 2012, 08:51:37 AM »
Using the Foscam FI8918W Wireless IP Camera and it's great.
Just wish I had read that audio is not supported in Icam for this IP Camera.
I want to use it as a baby monitor so audio is a must.
Hopefully a future version will allow audio like the release that supports Airlink audio.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 23, 2012, 02:07:59 PM »
Using the Foscam FI8918W Wireless IP Camera and it's great.
Just wish I had read that audio is not supported in Icam for this IP Camera.
I want to use it as a baby monitor so audio is a must.
Hopefully a future version will allow audio like the release that supports Airlink audio.

Thank you for your post.

Audio support for Foscam is something our developers are currently working on and should be available soon.

barrie

• View Profile
Problem "adding" LifeCam HD -5000 camera
« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2012, 02:39:45 PM »
I'm on a Macbook Pro, OS X, 10.7.2 trying to add a  LifeCam HD -5000 camera
I hit the "+" but my new webcam doesn't show up in the list on the right...what am I missing?? I already got the driver and the camera works in Photo Booth.

Thanks for any help.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2012, 11:02:24 AM »
Is your webcam plugged into a USB hub or extension cable? If so, please try plugging it directly into the computer.

zzzdeprived

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2012, 10:53:33 AM »
I just bought the D-Link DCS 932L and it does not support iCam. They want you to use their own app. I am very disappointed because iCam is the only app I want to use with ANY cam in my home. I just updated my wireless to Linksys E1200 Wireless-N and was wondering can I still use Wireless G camera's? I am taking back the D-link and want to buy the Linksys Wireless-G camera. I am a newbie and really don't understand all this N and G talk but I did try everything recommended on this website to get the D-Link DCS 932L to work. I <3 iCam and will not be forced to use anyone elses iPhone app. Thank you for such a great product! I take care of my mom with Alzheimer's disease and this is a great tool. Once I have it all figured out I will be recommending it to MANY people since I am a Gerontology student!

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 14, 2012, 11:08:10 AM »
That camera appears to support MJPEG and JPEG ... Do none of the URLs for D-Link cameras work from http://skjm.com/icam/mjpeg.php ?

zzzdeprived

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 12:28:40 PM »
Stefan, Thank you so much for your reply! I went back and tried all of the links again and realized I had not put the right password in for the camera. D-Link apparently only takes up to 8 letters and numbers as its password and mine was longer. Therefore it did not work. I had to reset the camera and start over to discover the problem. My camera now works perfectly with iCam on my iPhone and I could not be happier. Thank you for pointing out that my camera would work! Sometimes it just takes trying all over again to get something working!  ;)