Author Topic: USB Webcam / WiFi Network IP Camera Recommendations  (Read 268512 times)

jl

• View Profile
Re: USB Webcam / WiFi Network IP Camera Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2010, 09:05:51 AM »
This product would be perfect if it had a built in ftp to upload files to my own web server. Right now without 3g service/just using wifi the thief can yank out my computer and I'll never get the video. Other than that, I have no complaints. 

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2010, 11:01:47 AM »
jl - A number of users use the free DropBox service to automatically mirror the Motion Events recorded by the iCamSource to a remote server in case the computer is turned off or stolen. There is also a free iPhone DropBox application that you can use to view your files away from a computer. - http://dropbox.com/

smbluthing

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2011, 08:09:03 PM »
is there a camera that will work wireless in the outdoor elements?  i have an outbuilding that is unheated and it looks like most of these recommended cam's are good only to freezing... also looking at mounting a cam on the outside of the house. thanks

PS;  hoping to catch the mailbox smashers one of these days!

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »
The few outdoor cameras that we are familiar with (like the Foscam FI8904W) seem to be only rated to freezing, like you said. Not sure if anyone else is familiar with a more robust solution.

smbluthing

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2011, 09:52:52 AM »
I have decided to try the 500W unit that is recommended at the beginning of this link. Is it plug and play? If not is there a link for novice setup. Thanks for your time helping me with my ignorance.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2011, 11:53:18 AM »
It is not necessarily "plug-and-play" but it is fairly straightforward to setup with the included setup instructions as long as you are using a Windows computer. If you are only running Mac OS X the AirLink cameras are not as easily configured, unfortunately. (The problem only comes in getting the camera connected to your local network. Once that is done, using a Mac is just as easy as using a Windows machine.)

barbcomm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2011, 02:23:20 PM »
captual - Are you using MJPEG or JPEG mode in iCamSource?  If you're using MJPEG mode, try switching to JPEG mode (with the same URL) to see if that has any effect on the behavior.
Do you know how to connect several cams together?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 09:33:41 PM »
barbcomm - If you want to run multiple cameras on the same computer, you just need to add the cameras to the Cameras list in iCamSource.  To do that, click the small "+" button underneath the Cameras list on the left side of the iCamSource window.  You can edit the settings for each camera by selecting the camera's entry in the Cameras list.

Yasush

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2011, 05:28:52 AM »
Hi Stefan,
Here is my situation.
Me and my wife working during the day and our kid is in the house for 3 hours alone with the babysitter.
I need a camera that i can access with icam. it has to be connecting through my wireless router with or without wire is ok. No computer solution since a computer is to big to hide and is not practical. are these that you recommended working directly by connecting them to the router ?
I just purchased your app and recommended to more than 5 people.
thanks

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2011, 11:38:03 AM »
iCam currently only connects to the iCamSource application running on your computer. The iCamSource can connect to WiFi network IP cameras, so your computer does not need to be in the same physical location as the camera.

It is the iCamSource application that monitors the camera's video stream to send push notifications and record motion events whenever motion is detected.

We discuss the various webcams and network IP cameras that we own and use with iCam in this Support Forum Post: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=908.0

aamato

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2011, 08:03:06 AM »
I bought the SkyIPCam747W as suggested.
It really can be connected with my Mac by wire. And I can access its configuration page. Althought it was not so easy.
But I am having a bad time trying to config Wifi with my time capsule. >:(
I tried every possible combination of wifi config, username, password and I cannot make it connect.
Anyone made it ?
Any suggestion ?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 08:21:56 AM by aamato »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 23, 2011, 06:30:07 PM »
Do you know the SSID and the password (if necessary) for your Wi-Fi network?  Do you have any other devices, such as your iPhone or iPod, connected to your Wi-Fi network?

aamato

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2011, 01:14:06 PM »
Do you know the SSID and the password (if necessary) for your Wi-Fi network?  Do you have any other devices, such as your iPhone or iPod, connected to your Wi-Fi network?

Yes, I know the SSID and the password. The selected security is  WPA/WPA2 personal
I even found out that the password is different than in the time capsule: we have to go to Airport Util, and Choose Equivalent Network Password from the base station menu.
I have many devices connected, from my iPhone, my Android, my wifi printer and my Windows Vista computer. But yet, I cannot make this camera connect.

Thanks

Alexandre Amato
www.amato.com.br

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2011, 05:26:14 PM »
We've never had any problem getting the Airlink cameras to connect to the Wi-Fi network.  If you want, you can email a screenshot of your camera's Wi-Fi settings to support@skjm.com and I can look to see if they look correct, but it's pretty unlikely that I'll be able to resolve the problem unless there's a glaring error in your settings.  Your best bet would be to contact Airlink's tech support.

aamato

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2011, 03:11:15 PM »
This is my TimeCapsule configuration (I know it is in portuguese, but I think it can be understood)

As time capsule uses a different kind of password, I found the Equivalent Password option (that is discussed here: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1800036 ):

And the configuration I used in wired connection is:

Thanks in advance for any hint