Author Topic: Very poor frame rate, but a good framerate in the preview panel????  (Read 2071 times)

zaru

• View Profile
 ???
When I open up the app and go to the preview panel (the area where they show all 4 cameras), I see the camera with a good frame rate, but when i zoom in on it the frame rate just drops horridly.
I understand that when you zoom in it makes it bigger and therefore there's more data to be sent, but I'd rather have the quality be lower and the frame rate be higher.

Why is this?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 07:02:10 AM by zaru »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The only difference between the thumbnail view and the full screen view is the size of the image.  As you mentioned, the full screen image is larger and uses up more bandwidth.  Do you see this when your iPhone is on Wi-Fi or 3G? 

The full screen framerate is usually limited by bandwidth, even on Wi-Fi connections. 

On local Wi-Fi, you should see a few frames per second.
On a remote Wi-Fi hot spot, you should see about a frame per second.
On 3G, Apple requires us to keep the framerate less than 1 frame every 2 seconds.  If it's a poor 3G connection, it may be slower.
On EDGE, you'll probably see about one frame every 5 seconds or so, or as low as 1 frame every 10 seconds if you have a poor EDGE signal.

If the framerate on you're seeing is significantly lower than that, please let me know what framerate you're seeing and what connection type you're using.

zaru

• View Profile
i was on wifi, but i think you just should add a feature in a future release that has an option for High (the quality while in full screen) or Low (the quality in the preview panel) quality to sent when you're in full screen mode for those who prefer a better frame rate or quality.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll add that to our list of potential features to add to iCam in the future.