Author Topic: CPU Usage  (Read 12936 times)

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: CPU Usage
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2010, 11:53:30 AM »
The Source Connection Error occurs at the initiation of the connection between the iPhone and the computer.  It doesn't involve the motion recordings.  Have you tried using a lower storage limit to see if it effects the problem?

How many cameras do you have in the Cameras list in iCamSource?  It's possible that you're getting the Source Connection Error for one camera while you're browsing the motion events for another camera.

Kurtois

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 02:17:33 PM »
Jay - I will double check the message, as this one was snapped some time ago, but the events that elicit an error message are as follows:

1.  Wait for Motion Events list to populate (recently, has been taking a minute or greater).
2.  Either list will populate OR the aforementioned message (I believe it is this one), will appear.  Display returns to multi-view display of sources and the source that I was trying to view motion events for will say "Source Connection Closed" or "Connection Closed" and the view for that source will be blacked out.

My setup:
WinXP P4 machine w/1GB RAM.
Three Wi-Fi based MJPEG cameras; if necessary, I can double check how many images/second the camera is outputting for processing.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 10:19:26 PM »
If it loses the connection after the connection has been initiated, it should show the "Connection Closed" message.

The screenshot in your other thread showed that you have a large number of motion events recorded (over 10,000).  It sounds like the computer might be struggling to generate and send that list, causing the connection to time out.  Does reducing the storage limit to half (or less) of it's current setting have any effect on this behavior?

Don of Nashville

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2011, 12:41:46 PM »
At work, I am using a 2007 Mac Book Pro 15" with 4GB RAM and a (1 year old) 240 SSD with the built in iSight camera, I have noticed my CPU usage also decreased by almost half, went from 33-43% down to about 14%!

I wonder if this may be the reason I am losing my camera connection feeds on my home computers.

At home I have an old (2006?) iMac G5 1.9Ghz with 2.5 GB RAM and have tried to use both the iSight camera and a Logitech C615 USB camera.  I can get them both up and running, but sooner or later, one will drop out, and after a period of time, the second iCamsource pref window will close and the icon will disappear in my top menu bar.  I know I pushing the iMac with these video feeds, but its a damn good old computer that just won't die! (the last G5's before Apple went to Intel).
But I have audio enabled for both cameras, so will have to try without audio to see what happens.

At home also, I also have a 2009 13" Mac Book Pro with 8GB RAM and am having the same problem, camera will drop out and stop connecting.
I have ATT Uverse internet service with their second highest internet speed (Max or whatever). Wondering if I am exceeding my bandwidth or something when I try to have all 4 camera feeds (2 on iMac and 2 on MBP; both using iSight camera and one Logitech C615 USB camera).  I have my motion set to less sensitive and motion detection to less often, to reduce CPU usage.
I will have to try turning the audio off and see if that makes a difference.

I'm still reading through a lot of the forums here and picking up some good tips and help.
Would love to get my two home computers (or at least one) to be able to run all four cameras (or 3 with on computer, using iSight as one cam).  I was able to get them all (2 computers each with 2 cams) up at once, but they quickly lost connections, except for

BTW, great product and great support here! You guys are doing a great job.