Author Topic: 2 computers, 2 webcams  (Read 4443 times)

jpwrnglr

• View Profile
2 computers, 2 webcams
« on: May 05, 2010, 07:27:22 AM »
Is it possible, or maybe a future feature, to be able to have 2 webcams on 2 different computers (i.e. 1 webcam on a desktop in one room and another webcam on laptop in another room), be viewed if you log in with the same username & password on both computers?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: 2 computers, 2 webcams
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 04:27:46 PM »
It already is possible...I do it. You just need to install icamsource on each computer...using the same icam username/password combination. Works for me!

jpwrnglr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 04:39:02 PM »
I tried but when I started iCam on my laptop, the camera on my desktop turned off. There was only the laptop cam available for view on my iPhone. I'll try it again and see what happens.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »
When you say the desktop cam turned off, do you mean it actually turned off? Or you just weren't able to see it anymore on your iPhone? Are you sure icamsource on your desktop didn't crash? What version of icamsource are you using? And are you on Windows? I have Windows XP...have some issues connecting to more than one source if I'm accessing the feed through 3g instead of through my local network. On my local network, everything works flawlessly. I have found that when I'm connected to 3g with more than one source, if I hit refresh in the iCam app, sometimes it finds the other source...but it seems to be completely random. Sometimes I just have to hit refresh once or twice...but sometimes I have to restart the iCam app on my phone and hit refresh before it'll find the other source...and still other times, all of the refreshing will cause one of the instances of icamsource to crash. Strange!

I've requested the ability to determine the camera feed's address and bypass the "zero configuration" logic that I suspect is having issues. Granted, I'm not a programmer...so I don't know for sure that's the issue. But either way, I'd like the option...removes one step in the connection process, and therefore one potential source of problems.

phokus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »
I am having the same issue. I have iCamSource running on a Macbook (OS X 10.6.4) with the built in cam and a PC (Windows 7 Ultimate x64) with the Xbox Live USB cam. I was able to see both cameras when I was at home on the wireless network, but after I left home I could only see one, the Macbook. The PC iCamSource had crashed. I connected via remote desktop and restarted it, but it just kept crashing. Eventually, I was able to see the PC cam, but the Mac cam stopped working.

I couldn't find any error messages in the event log. Is there anywhere specific I should check for a log file?

Any ideas on how or what to do to figure out what the issue is?

Thanks and so far I am enjoying the app, good work.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 11:16:30 PM »
You need to set up port forwarding. I finally figured out that was my problem. Once I set it up, it worked perfectly. Read the directions at the top of the forum for port forwarding. Make sure that you set up a different range of ports for each computer, and obviously make sure that your computers have static IP addresses. That should end the icamsource crashes and allow you to view both cameras at the same time through the 3g network, other networks, etc.

depalmer

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2010, 08:10:26 AM »
I have two cameras on to different computers. One is vista the other is xp. On 3G one camera will come in, then i'll turn the app off and back on Again and the other camera  will come in. Never both at the same time. Why would it jump from one camera to the other ? This isnt a source problem . Why would port forwrding help this if both cameras are getting through the system? I thought port forwarding was only for complicated router systems with tough security systems!! Seems like a flaw in design to me. Is anyone getting away with two compters with two cameras with two different programs like xp and vista or are all the suggessful ones using vista. Ive been reading and sounds like most everyone with a problem hhas xp.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2010, 11:39:55 AM »
I would think it's more of a problem with the router as opposed to the software, as the router doesn't know which computer to connect your iPhone to (since your iPhone has an external IP address instead of a local IP address that your router could easily translate/direct traffic to). That's why you need to set up port forwarding since you have 2 computers with icamsource running...the port forwarding basically tells your router which computer(s) to connect your iPhone to within the local network when your phone is accessing from the Internet (3g network in this case).

The only way to correct the issue using software is to enable uPNP in the router settings and then use the newest version of icamsource (just released) and enable the setting in icamsource for uPNP. However, I'm not sure how well that would work with 2 different computers (2 instances of icamsource) each trying to change the settings on the router via uPNP. Also, enabling uPNP on your router, while convenient for things like this, is a potential security hole...making it easier for someone to gain access to your network. There's always a trade-off between ease-of-connectivity and security it seems.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 10:04:36 PM »
depalmer - The new BETA version of iCamSource that OUAnthony is referring to is available for download at:

Windows:  http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSetup1.4.2.6.exe

Mac Version - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource1.4.2.6.dmg

It should work fine on 2 different computers.

If you check the Auto-Config Router checkbox before clicking the Start button, the iCamSource will attempt to automatically forward a port in your router. When you click the Start button, what status message appears above the Auto-Config Router Port checkbox?

If you're still getting the Source Connection Error with the new BETA version of iCamSource, please email a screenshot of your iCamSource window to support@skjm.com.  Please refer to this forum thread in your email.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:39:42 PM by Stefan »