Author Topic: 2 cams 1 macpro ('08)  (Read 5133 times)

speakerwizard

• View Profile
2 cams 1 macpro ('08)
« on: April 09, 2010, 05:07:45 AM »
Hi, ive looked at a couple of other '2 cam' posts but didnt find the answers i was looking for, i have been trying to get 2 cams (xbox) to both be available at the same time with icam, i have tried 2 different icamsources and every combination of my usb ports (to use different bus') and have also tried different audio settings (no-audio-line in etc) and no combination has worked, im asking this seperate from the other threads as they all seem to have built in isights so maybe the answer to this will be different, thanks in advance.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: 2 cams 1 macpro ('08)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2010, 11:28:46 AM »
Does video from both cameras show up properly in the two iCamSource windows?  Do you see an error message on your iPhone?  If not, what do you see on your iPhone?

Does iCam work properly if you only run one iCamSource?

speakerwizard

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2010, 11:38:58 AM »
Hi, 1 cam at a time works fine, both are selectable, but nothing appears when the second one is 'started' and no green light, no error messages on iphone, just the one streaming vid

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »
Are you able to view these cameras simultaneously in other video capture programs?  For example, if you open one camera in Photobooth and the other camera in iChat, do they both display correctly at the same time?

speakerwizard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »
sorry for late reply, tried ichat and photobooth but while they have both cameras selectable, cannot select different cameras simultaniously, just the same one on both, but im pretty sure they are different USB busses, shows as 4 in system profiler.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 12:00:30 PM »
Please try opening the first camera in iCamSource, then open the second camera in iChat.

speakerwizard

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 05:45:15 AM »
Hi, just tried it and got cam in use for 2nd camera, but can access the same camera being used by icamsource.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 12:57:14 AM »
Generally, if a camera is being accessed by one program, another program isn't able to access it.  There are ways around this with third-party programs, but by default, a camera can only be accessed by one program at a time.

Are the cameras pointing at totally different things, so that you can tell the cameras apart by the video that is being displayed?  If so, are the iCamSource  window and the iChat window simultaneously displaying identical video when iChat is accessing the same camera being used by iCamSource (as described in your post)?

speakerwizard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 07:49:49 AM »
Hi, yes the cams were pointed in different directions so i could tell, has anyone else done this on a mac pro 2008 model ?

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 12:15:52 AM »
My Mac is a Mac Pro 2008 model.  I'll try to replicate this behavior on my Mac.

speakerwizard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 01:56:33 PM »
thanks, that'll be great

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 02:25:35 PM »
I wasn't able to replicate this behavior on my Mac Pro.

I'd like to remove iCamSource from the test completely.  Please connect to one camera using iChat and to the other camera using Skype.  I was able to do this on my Mac Pro with two cameras simultaneously, so I'd like to see if you can do the same on your system.

Dyslee

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 07:12:24 PM »
Generally, if a camera is being accessed by one program, another program isn't able to access it.  There are ways around this with third-party programs, but by default, a camera can only be accessed by one program at a time.

Are the cameras pointing at totally different things, so that you can tell the cameras apart by the video that is being displayed?  If so, are the iCamSource  window and the iChat window simultaneously displaying identical video when iChat is accessing the same camera being used by iCamSource (as described in your post)?

-Is there a way to find out which program is accessing which camera?
-Running Snow leopard on an old macbookpro (2008) 17" trying to connect 2 logitech 600 usb (not using isight)
-tried connecting one camera to one side and the second to the other side.... doesnt work
-I can only get one camera to work at a time no matter which USB port is being used so both cameras and usb ports all work fine
-the only way i can get the no audio option is if I have one USB camera hooked up and only one icam source started...
-I then hook up the second camera and start icam source2 and nothing shows up, and no option for no audio on the drop down menu. but i do see the second camera on the drop down. In this instance Logitech Camera #2
-tried having 1 icam running and ichat started... ichat cannot access the second camera
-tried running ichat and evo cam no luck there either

is there a modified usb driver or controller that you are using that is allowing you to hook up 2 of the same make and model USB cameras to a MBP and having them work fine? I have the newest icam source running and everything as far as apples end is updated on my mac book pro.... any help would be appreciated...

I posted a while ago about trying to do this with my mac mini server but I gave up and settled on just having one camera hooked up to that computer... But I really do need to have this mac book pro up and running with 2 USB cameras..... wife and I love the app and really hope to have this going...

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 08:30:42 PM »
The fact that you're seeing the same problem in iChat and Evo Cam indicates that it is a hardware or driver issue.

I don't know of any software that that enables you to hook up 2 of the same make and model camera.  I'm assuming it isn't necessary, since I was able to connect two identical cameras to my Mac Pro and use them simultaneously.  I notice that you said that you have a MacBook Pro, not a Mac Pro.  All of the reports of USB bus issues we've received in the past have been for MacBooks and Minis, presumably because they use similar hardware.

Dyslee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 10:54:02 AM »
yeah im hiding a macbook pro in the corner with the camera.... hoping to be cameras! Ive tried to do the same with a mac mini server.... so im guessing im pooched....

Gonna try a boot camp with vista on the macbook later and see if windows is a bit better about 2 usb cameras....  ill update if anyone is interested as soon as i try it out.