Author Topic: Iffy connections with cameras  (Read 1689 times)

PCKid

• View Profile
Iffy connections with cameras
« on: August 03, 2017, 12:05:27 AM »
I have two D-Link DCS930L wifi ip cameras plus the icam on my iMac. When away from home via 3G/4G the connections are randomly successful. Some times I get all three sometimes only one or two. On my Apple Watch sometimes I get a relevant camera image sometimes it just says Loading alert and nothing else. Is it the cameras that are rubbish or something else? The iMac is running MacOS Sierra, iPhones iOS 10.3.3 and WatchOS 3.2.3

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Iffy connections with cameras
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2017, 08:02:21 PM »
When you are connected to the same local WiFi network do you see any of these kinds of intermittent issues? Or is it only when away from home?

PCKid

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2017, 11:09:02 PM »
Only away. At home works perfectly. It is random. Often a refresh will bring up all three. It's worse on the Apple Watch which is so useful. I still have 21mb on Private tracker. Although I leave Public/Private activated rather than just Private on it's own. Don't know if that makes a difference.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 12:40:31 PM »
The Apple Watch issue should be independent of the iCam Pro-to-iCamSource Pro connectivity, but if you do not have a strong 3G/4G connection, the watch alert may not be shown if it cannot be downloaded quick enough before you raise you arm to view it.

Also, the watch connects to your phone via Bluetooth when not on WiFi, so if you are using any other Bluetooth connectivity (streaming audio, etc.) it can make it more challenging for the watch alert download to complete in time.

How many "dots" of 3G/4G signal do you have when you are having these problems?

Additionally, when using both the Public and Private Proxies, the Public ones will be tried first before falling back to your Private data, but they are not as performant as our Private server.

PCKid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 11:57:13 PM »
I think you are right. Signal may be too weak. Will have to watch next time it happens and then come back if necessary. As you say it may be a weak signal situation.