Author Topic: How to lower network traffic  (Read 1818 times)

raymate

• View Profile
How to lower network traffic
« on: August 13, 2017, 07:48:26 AM »
Got 7 cameras running 6 are wifi all on the 2.4GHz band.

Upgraded my wifi system to Ubiquiti and this lets me monitor traffic, I found my 2.4GHz is basically flooded I'm using a constant 92-98% of the bandwidth, this would explain I have had the odd issue connecting to cameras and my 2.4GHz browse the internet slow now and then.

Stopping the iCamSource App instantly drops my 2.4Ghz down to about 5% in use from 98% so its' the constant traffic going to iCamSource.

Now I have fiddled with the cameras as much as I can to reduce the image quality and frame rates they give out and I have got the usage down to about 60-70%, but when movement is present they spike and saturate the 2.4GHz again.

What setting in the iCamSource could be made to help this, the sliders for Camera and Motion Detection seem to make a bit of a difference but not drastically.

Which way should the sliders move to reduce DATA flow if that is possible

Any other settings that may help?

Its a pain this software can't handle H.264 think this would help, can't find any software as good, and it's been solid for me for the last 5+ years

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: How to lower network traffic
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 11:34:04 AM »
Assuming that you are using an MJPEG URL to connect to your cameras, the issue is that your cameras are likely streaming 30 fps of video to the iCamSource, which is why you are seeing so much bandwidth usage. If you reduce the frame rate setting in the cameras themselves, you should see a significant reduction in bandwidth usage.

The iCamSource connects to the cameras, and simply receives the video stream that the cameras send to it. The frame rate / image quality settings in the iCamSource affects the connection between iCam and the iCamSource, not between the iCamSource and network IP cameras.