Author Topic: Your network webcam could not be connected to.  (Read 2214 times)

lindsayspop

• View Profile
Your network webcam could not be connected to.
« on: January 27, 2010, 08:12:41 PM »
I've been using my system without benefit of iCam now for a couple of months through a dyndns.org url through remote computer access and it works fine. Today I bought the iCam app for my iPhone.  But now that I apply the url to the iCamSource preferences form I get the message in the subject line above.  I have checked my firewall and the program has full access.  The url is right.  Log in and password are right.  What could I be missing?
Thanks.

lindsayspop

• View Profile
Re: Your network webcam could not be connected to.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2010, 08:44:04 PM »
Replying to my own message.  I read further and found that iCam does not support MPEG4 which is the format my system is built in.  So am I screwed?   ???

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Your network webcam could not be connected to.
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 02:19:47 AM »
iCamSource requires a USB/Built-in webcam or an IP camera that outputs MJPEG formatted data.  If your camera doesn't meet those requirement, then iCamSource won't be able to capture video directly from your camera.

However, there is a workaround in this case.  It's not very elegant, but it does work.  There are several programs available that turn any area of your desktop or a window into a virtual webcam that will show up in the iCamSource Video Source list.  If you search for "virtual webcam", you'll find a bunch.  I've personally tried a program called ManyCam, and it worked fine for me.  If video from your cameras shows up on your computer, then you can use this "Virtual Webcam" program to turn the webcam viewer window into a virtual webcam that shows up in iCamSource's Video Source drop-down list.