Author Topic: What are the best mjpeg WiFi IP video cameras available now?  (Read 3980 times)

wfiveash

• View Profile
What are the best mjpeg WiFi IP video cameras available now?
« on: January 06, 2017, 01:41:07 PM »
I had a Foscam mjpeg video camera die (I'm glad because it was not very good) and I'm looking for a replacement that will work with icam source pro.  So far I'm finding it difficult to find a good, reliable WiFi video camera that supports either mjpeg or jpeg video, at least when I look at the specs for the cameras I have found (all just mention H.264).  Note that I'd prefer to have a camera that supports a audio mic and pan and tilt.  Anyone have advice on currently made/supported WiFi video cameras that work with icam?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: What are the best mjpeg WiFi IP video cameras available now?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2017, 03:24:36 PM »
Recently it seems that most IP cameras (like those by Amcrest) advertise h.264 but do also support MJPEG, so they will be compatible with iCam & iCam Pro.

I believe that when h.264 was new-fangled, cameras were being manufactured that just supported one or the other. These days it seems that most of the newer models support both.

You may just have to look a little deeper at the technical details of the camera to make sure.  8)

wfiveash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 03:44:54 PM »
Thanks for the Amcrest pointer, that looks like it will work for me.

wfiveash

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2017, 07:05:59 PM »
Does the Amcrest camera require I install a brower plugin in order to configure it?  I am very leery about doing something like that for at least two reasons (security, reliability).  I'm hoping I can just connect using a web browser and set the thing up as I have been able to do with other IP cameras.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 07:06:30 AM »
Does the Amcrest camera require I install a brower plugin in order to configure it?  I am very leery about doing something like that for at least two reasons (security, reliability).  I'm hoping I can just connect using a web browser and set the thing up as I have been able to do with other IP cameras.

The Amcrest camera that we have does require a plugin to view the video feed on a web browser, but since it still does support a raw MJPEG video stream we didn't need to install it to set the camera up.

wfiveash

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2017, 10:33:35 AM »
Great, that is what I was hoping for.

PCKid

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 11:59:43 PM »
Old thread but hopefully Skjm see this. So up to now have been using icampro on my Mac and both iPhones with a couple of cheap dlink cameras. Works fine but no night vision and no audio except through my Mac iSight camera which works as a third camera. The reason we love icampro is that it has Apple Watch support and we save to a folder in Dropbox so even if the thieves took the lot we still have it due to mjpeg. So with these Amcrest cameras can we bypass their software and just carry on with our icampro setup? It's seemless but the old dlink cameras need to go.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 07:50:59 PM »
Old thread but hopefully Skjm see this. So up to now have been using icampro on my Mac and both iPhones with a couple of cheap dlink cameras. Works fine but no night vision and no audio except through my Mac iSight camera which works as a third camera. The reason we love icampro is that it has Apple Watch support and we save to a folder in Dropbox so even if the thieves took the lot we still have it due to mjpeg. So with these Amcrest cameras can we bypass their software and just carry on with our icampro setup? It's seemless but the old dlink cameras need to go.

Yes, if the network IP cameras also support MJPEG like your D-Link cameras then you should be able to use them either with their own software or with the iCamSource Pro.