Author Topic: iCam Source could not be connected to  (Read 10770 times)

0Richard0

• View Profile
iCam Source could not be connected to
« on: October 15, 2016, 05:52:07 AM »
I installed iCam Source Pro on my laptop and the iCam pro app on my android phone.
It was working fine while connected to the same LAN network.

I purchased the in app extension to view the cam while connected to a different network (4G connection on my phone).

I restarted the app and software on the laptop, the webcam is active and connected to the iCam network but each time I try to connect using the app while not connected to the same network it gives the following error message.

"Source Conection Error
One or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker Server could not be connected to."

Can anyone help?
Cheers!

Beyondthetech

• View Profile
iCam Source could not be connected to
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 06:38:59 AM »
Stopped working for me too, recently. Been on Sierra for a while, and I rebooted my Mac as well as my router, not sure when it started having this issue.

In-network is fine, over cellular is getting that Broker message. iCamSource Pro says it's connected to Server, and I even have a Public Proxy set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: iCam Source could not be connected to
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 04:05:55 PM »
Have you tried checking the Auto-Config Router checkbox in the iCamSource Pro before clicking the Start button? If that doesn’t work, please let me know what status message appears next to the Auto-Config Router checkbox when you run iCamSource Pro with that option enabled.

Our iCam Pro Help Troubleshooting section also contains some additional information about what to try when you are unable to connect from outside of your local WiFi network: http://skjm.com/icampro/help/troubleshooting.php#icam3

Beyondthetech

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2016, 09:47:15 AM »
This may be an educated guess, but it appears that the issue could be stemming from a possible change in network connectivity in iOS 10.2.

I can access my home cameras via any Wi-Fi connection, but when it comes to a straight cellular connection, I get that Broker error message.

I also set up a VPN to my home router and that worked over cellular.

I'm only guessing it was due to an update in iOS 10.2 since I just updated my iPhone 7 Plus to it and I also couldn't get my Sphero SPRK+ to work anymore until they issued a software update that 'fixed connection issues in iOS 10.2.'  Their previous version would detect and connect the device over Bluetooth, but then it would fail when trying to connect online to their servers.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2016, 09:58:57 AM by Beyondthetech »

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2016, 12:18:36 AM »
Do you still see the Broker Connection Error when connecting via Cellular, but not via your VPN from your phone?

ckuehne

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 11:07:38 PM »
I recently started having this same exact issue - port forwarding, auto or manually is not working outside of the LAN - obviously, an issue when I would rather see what's happening when I'm away from home.

I'm running macOS 10.12.2, and iOS 10.2

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 12:09:38 PM »
What error message are you seeing when you are unable to connect?

I recently started having this same exact issue - port forwarding, auto or manually is not working outside of the LAN - obviously, an issue when I would rather see what's happening when I'm away from home.

I'm running macOS 10.12.2, and iOS 10.2

ckuehne

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 05:20:41 PM »
I'm seeing this error message:

"Broker Connection Error'

Your network may be preventing you from making a UDP connection to the iCam Broker Server."

Again - this is something that happened after the update to 10.12.2 -- I was not having this issue before then, and had not changed my router or it's settings.  I've trashed all preferences and started clean - and it has not helped.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 09:42:29 PM »
I have setup a test iCamSource Pro with the login skjmtest and password 010217. If both Beyondthetech and ckuehne could try logging in when your phones are connected via cellular I want to make sure that you are able to connect. (I am able to connect via Verizon LTE.)

Whether or not you are able to connect to my source via cellular will determine the next troubleshooting steps to take.

Thanks!

ckuehne

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2017, 10:06:18 PM »
I'm getting the same exact error message.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2017, 08:50:14 AM »
I'm getting the same exact error message.

If you are still seeing the Broker Connection Error message when attempting to connect to our test iCamSource Pro then takes your Mac and iCamSource Pro out of the equation.

Which cellular provider do you use? Also, when attempting to connect via cellular, how many dots / bars of signal do you see in the top-left corner of your phone? It may be that you have a weak cellular connection, and it is timing out after 30 seconds or so before being able to complete the connection.

If your signal is strong enough, it could be either that your cellular provider is blocking the UDP communication to our server or their DNS server is not able to resolve our server's hostname for some reason, both of which would be rather odd.

To continue troubleshooting your cellular connectivity, if you could attempt to connect to our test iCamSource again via cellular, and then immediately after seeing the Broker Connection Error, visit http://ip4.me/ from your phone using Mobile Safari and email us at support@skjm.com what it says your external IP address is at that moment. We can then attempt to find your IP address in our Broker Server Logs to see if we can see it attempting to connect.

Please reference this forum post and your forum username in your email when sending your phone's IP address.

Thanks!

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2017, 06:34:49 PM »
Thank you for your email, ckuehne. Your IP address was not found in our Broker Server Logs.

After doing some Googling around, it looks like T-Mobile pushed a carrier update with iOS 10.2 a couple of weeks ago that drops support for IPv4, handing out only IPv6 IP addresses to devices:

https://support.t-mobile.com/thread/136080?start=0&tstart=0
https://support.t-mobile.com/message/582527#582527
http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/t-mobile-and-ring-doorbell-rant.2021883/

(In contract, Verizon & AT&T appear to still be handing out both IPv4 and IPv6 addresses while the Internet continues its transition to IPv6.)

I am surprised that T-Mobile has already made this move since Apple only required app updates support IPv6-only devices 6 months ago: https://developer.apple.com/news/?id=05042016a

Either way, the most recent iCam Pro version was updated and tested to support IPv6-only devices as per Apple's testing instructions, and since it was released in November, Apple would have also tested it as part of the review process.

The Broker Connection Error means that iCam Pro cannot connect to our Broker Server to find the iCamSource Pros to connect to, but it is strange that this isn't working when the testing that Apple suggested worked without issue. It may be something to do with T-Mobile not translating UDP traffic correctly, or some other detail related to the way they have implemented their IPv6-to-IPv4 translation.

ckuehne, do you have any VPN configured with your device? Unfortunately we do not currently have any T-Mobile test devices, so are unable to test what their network is doing at the moment.

We will be looking into temporarily switching one of our test devices to T-Mobile over the next day or so to hopefully replicate the issue.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 09:16:53 PM by Stefan »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2017, 06:05:55 PM »
Ok, well this is frustrating.  >:(

We have purchased T-Mobile SIM cards and attempted to replicate the issue, but in both Phoenix and Orange Country, California we are seeing no issue connecting over T-Mobile LTE.

Are you guys still seeing this issue? If so, where are you geographically located, approximately? It may be that T-Mobile's network is not consistent throughout the country.

Also, have you guys tried turning your phones off and back on again, resetting your cellular network connection?

Beyondthetech

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2017, 07:16:29 PM »
I am in New Jersey and the issue persists. I'm just glad you're on top of this, because I thought I was going crazy.

I've definitely rebooted, power-cycled, reset Network Settings, and it's still not working over direct cellular. VPN over cellular, and direct Wi-Fi work fine.

macOS 10.12.2, iOS 10.2 (14C92) and T-Mobile carrier settings version 27.1.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2017, 06:57:12 AM »
I am in New Jersey and the issue persists. I'm just glad you're on top of this, because I thought I was going crazy.

I've definitely rebooted, power-cycled, reset Network Settings, and it's still not working over direct cellular. VPN over cellular, and direct Wi-Fi work fine.

macOS 10.12.2, iOS 10.2 (14C92) and T-Mobile carrier settings version 27.1.

Thanks for the update.

Could you visit http://ipv6-test.com/ from your phone when it is connected via LTE and email the results to support@skjm.com? Since we are unable to replicate the issue we may need to make a beta test version of iCam Pro to determine the root cause of this issue with T-Mobile.

We are specifically the "Fallback" item under "Browser" ... It should be green and say something similar to "to IPv4 in 1 second".
« Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 07:15:03 AM by Stefan »