Author Topic: I have static IPs, do I still need iCamSource on my computer?  (Read 4800 times)

costarec

• View Profile
I have static IPs, do I still need iCamSource on my computer?
« on: January 19, 2010, 05:07:25 AM »
If I have my DVR on a network with a static IP, do I still need to install icamsource, or can I use icam directly to the DVR login? And, (slipping in a 2nd question here) I know my DVR records to an .avi file, is this still a JPEG or a MJPEG file format based camera setup?

I have a JPG2000 Stand Alone DVR with 4 cameras attached. unfortunately, I am not on the location and I don't know what kind of cameras they are. The recorded files are AJP type. I am confused as to the interwovan meanings of these specs. It (my DVR manual) also makes reference to the system as CCTV, which seems like it would be at odds with what I know to be true about the system. Have these meanings changed over the years as the technology has blurred the lines?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2010, 06:47:12 AM by costarec »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: I have static IPs, do I still need iCamSource on my computer?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 11:26:24 AM »
iCam only connects to the iCamSource running on a PC or Mac. It is the iCamSource that allows iCam to connect without any additional network configuration in most situations, as well as what enables iCam to receive Push Notifications and view recorded Motion Events.

If your DVR records avi files then those are most likely MPEG-4 as opposed to MJPEG. I am not familiar with the AJP file type. It may be a proprietary format compatible only with the DVR and its software.

Actually, that does appear to be the case: http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/ajp

costarec

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 01:52:16 PM »
Thanks for the info, I am learning as I go here, but I am unclear on something in your reply.

If the DVR *does* produce .avi files (it does) when I put the desktop software into the "scan" mode (going back in time and looking at some time slice), so are you saying that this file format (.avi format == MPEG 4) makes my cameras/DVR incompatible with icam and icamsource as an iphone solution?

Sincerely,
chuckc

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 04:23:25 PM »
That is correct. If your DVR does not claim to support both MPEG-4 and MJPEG video concurrently (it does seem to support MPEG-4) then it is most likely incompatible with the iCamSource at this time.

In our experience there are very few DVR devices that support direct MJPEG streams over HTTP probably because DVRs are more of a complete system. It is more common to find MJPEG streaming with the more popular stand-alone IP cameras.

costarec

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 10:09:25 AM »
OK, thanks for the clarification and all the other help.

--c