Author Topic: iCam 2.8 icon disappears from Menu Bar (iMac 10.9.5)  (Read 6031 times)

sffan

• View Profile
iCam 2.8 icon disappears from Menu Bar (iMac 10.9.5)
« on: April 28, 2015, 04:01:41 PM »
I just upgraded a few days ago to iCam 2.8 and the icon in the Menu Bar just disappears about 1 - 2 times per day. When I go to turn on my cameras, I get the dreaded "no source found" message. I then have to go to my main computer (iMac 10.9.5) and go to applications folder to double click iCamSource so that the icon is back in the Menu Bar. I can then set iCam on my iPod Touch 5 and leave the house.

I just downgraded a few minutes ago back to 2.7.2.2 to avoid this issue (I hope).

This is just to let you know my problem with 2.8

Thanks
« Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 09:09:48 AM by sffan »

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: iCam 2.8 icon disappears from Menu Bar
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2015, 12:18:49 AM »
From the information you have provided it looks like you are experiencing the issue being discussed here in our Support Forum: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=6365.0

If you could reply either via email or in the forum with the information requested in the first post, then hopefully we can fix this issue.

sffan

• View Profile
Re: iCam 2.8 icon disappears from Menu Bar
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2015, 01:20:03 AM »
As per your request:

Computer: iMac 27" 3.5GHz i7, 32 GB memory, Model 14,2  Sept 2013   Mavericks 10.9.5

I have 5 Cisco Model WVC80N cameras (3 connected WiFi, 2 connected ethernet cable)

No crashes since downgrading to 2.7.2.2 at approx 4PM MDT 4/28/15

7 crashes from 4/25/15 until 4/28/15

Crash log on all crashes say the same thing:  [NSBitmapImageRep initWithCIImage:] + 488

Hope this helps.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: iCam 2.8 icon disappears from Menu Bar (iMac 10.9.5)
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 07:58:39 AM »
Thank you for that additional information, as it seems to be an issue not just related to Foscam cameras. It may be an issue with running multiple cameras in the iCamSource,  using too much processing power of the computer.

What is the % CPU usage of the iCamSource in Applications > Utilities > Activity Monitor after running it, clicking the Start button, and closing the iCamSource window, leaving it running with the icon in the menu bar, near the clock?

It would also be helpful to see if the % CPU usage differs much between version 2.7.2.2 and 2.8 in that scenario.

Thank you!

sffan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2015, 05:51:54 PM »
Right now iCamSource (2.7.2.2) is showing between 23.5 MB and 24MB. If I turn on the cameras, no difference .

I am sorry but I do not have the time conduct experiments with 2.8. My cameras work with 2.7.2.2 and I will wait for you to solve the problem.

BTW, no crashes since downgrading from 2.8 to 2.7.2.2.

Regards

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 11:07:16 AM »
It appears to be an issue with higher CPU usage on some Macs with multiple IP cameras with the 64-bit 2.8 version than with the 32-bit 2.7.2.2 version: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=6365.msg19228#msg19228

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2015, 06:31:05 PM »
We have a new version of the iCamSource (2.8.0.1) to try: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=6365.msg19236#msg19236

sffan

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2015, 09:57:13 AM »
2 days ago, I finally upgraded to Yosemite 10.10.3 from Mavericks 10.9.5 with no problems at all with the upgrade. I then decided to give 2.8.0.1 a try.

First time opening iCam on my iPad, I received the "no source found" message. I went back to my iMac which had a "allow incoming connections?" message for iCam source. No problem - new OS - normal procedure - clicked "allow".

Since Wednesday, no problems but this AM when opening iCam on my iPad, I received the "no source found" and again my iMac wanted "allow incoming connections?".

Just re-installed 2.7.2.2 and received the same sequence of messages and clicked "allow". No crashes since installing Yosemite (just checked log). Activity Monitor showed approx 14.5 MB with 2.8.0.1 and now shows 19.8 MB with 2.7.2.2.

If this "allow problem" happens again with 2.7.2.2, I will advise.

I do not have 3rd party Anti-Virus software.

(BTW - At first I thought the problem was with doing a Restart last night but disregarded that theory when I remembered that I had done at least 5 restarts since Wednesday - nothing unusual for me with putting in a new OS as I test various settings. Yosemite is working fine!)

« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 12:25:04 PM by sffan »

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2015, 12:35:25 PM »
I would suggest closing the iCamSource application and then deleting your com.skjm.icamsource.plist file in your Library/Preferences folder in your home folder. Then, when you re-start the iCamSource, you will be starting with a fresh set of preferences, and hopefully things will act as expected.

You can get to that directory by running Finder and then holding the Option key while clicking on the "Go" menu at the top of the screen. If you’re holding down the Option key, "Library" will be one of the choices available. You should choose Library, then open the Preferences folder. The plist file will be in there.

Please delete the plist, reboot, then reset your preferences in iCamSource.

sffan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2015, 01:20:45 PM »
I was not sure that deleting the plist file would then leave me with a few days wasted of entering again all the info for 5 cameras, so I declined to do this.

In the meantime, I installed 2.8.1 thinking it would help. Here is what I found:

I already have iCamSource as a login item. iCamSource works fine until I do a restart (as I initially suspected). The next time I would open iCam on my mobile device, I would get the "no source found" message on my device and my iMac would then show the prompt to "allow incoming connections". Choosing "accept" and then the cameras were fine. I did restarts 3 times in a row, same routine. I then did a another restart but before opening my cameras, I opened Sys Prefs and the Security&Privacy pane showed iCamSource already showing "allow incoming connections". I then opened my cameras and got the same message asking me to allow incoming. So on my iMac screen I had two partial screens: one asking me to allow, the other showing it was already allowing. (Unfortunately, I do not how to attach an image from my desktop - if you wish, please send me an email and I will send the image to you).

After more experimentation, I came up with the following workaround which only takes a few seconds: Every time immediately after I do a restart, just quit iCamSource in the menu bar, and then click on the iCamSource icon now in my Dock. iCamSource reopens in the menu bar and no more message asking me to accept incoming after opening my cameras. This procedure is not necessary again until I do another restart usually once a week. A lot easier then standing by my front door, getting the allow? prompt, cursing, going through the entire house to my iMac, answering the prompt and then preparing to leave again.

I think this should give you enough information to correct your app. I had the same problem with Logitech Media Server until Logitech finally updated their software to 7.7.5. This app was also in my login items. My music servers, after a restart, would not allow me listen to a radio station until I went to Sys Prefs, stopped the server then started the server again. Silly I know, but this 5 second routine worked until the next restart. Obviously you are not Logitech, but they finally corrected this with the 7.7.5 update after a few years of other updates. Perhaps you can do the same (sooner than a few years, of course)

Regards
« Last Edit: May 17, 2015, 01:58:43 PM by sffan »

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 06:44:40 PM »
Are you running the app from your Applications folder and not a different folder or disk image on your Mac.

Also, in your Mac’s System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options is the “Automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections” checkbox is checked?

sffan

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 08:56:46 PM »
Yes, iCamSource is in my applications folder.

And yes, "automatically allow signed software to receive incoming connections" is checked.

As I stated in my post, I had two screens on my iMac at the same time - a message asking to allow and the other a Sys Prefs window showing it was already allowing. Again, if you want to see a screenshot of this situation, send me an email.

All my Mac software is up to date.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2015, 05:39:44 PM »
Please send a screenshot to support@skjm.com and reference this post in your email.

sffan

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 06:41:28 PM »
I received your email that attached an article on how to fix applications always asking to allow incoming connections. Thank you!

It turns out that the fix was for an older OS so I condensed the advice to just going to Sys Prefs/ Security&Privacy/ Firewall and completely removing ONLY the iCamSource "allow incoming connections" line.

Guess what? Problem is gone. iCamSource no longer asks me to 'allow' after every restart when I open my cameras and iCamSource no longer appears at all in the Firewall options list.

iCamSource is still a login item, so it opens by itself, appears in the Menu Bar and no more messages.

Regards

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 09:39:56 PM »
I’m glad you got it working!

If you have any other issues or questions, please let us know.