Author Topic: What is ipCam used for if the iDevice needs to be unlocked w/ app open?  (Read 4570 times)

inathann

• View Profile
I have downloaded iCamSource for my iMac and Windows computer. I also have iCam/ipCam on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini. I have figured out how to access the computers from the mobile app but I figured ipCam would work almost the same way. But I don't see how I could have an extra iPad running as the camera unless its obviously being used as a camera. I may be confused but I was hoping someone could help me with this.

Like from the sounds of it I literally have to place my iPad on the kitchen table and leave it set up clearly as some security camera. With the video and everything visible on the screen. And also plugged in so it doesn't die. Just really confused and maybe someone can help haha.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: What is ipCam used for if the iDevice needs to be unlocked w/ app open?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2013, 11:20:18 PM »
That is correct. Many of our users who have old camera enabled, iPhones, iPod touches, or iPads laying around. ipCam turns your camera-enabled iDevice into a mobile Wi-Fi network IP camera. Apple does allow apps to run in the background, however, they don't allow access to the camera while the app is in the background, so ipCam won't work in the background. You can darken your screen if you single-tap the preview view.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2014, 12:55:40 PM by SKJM Support »

bio1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 09:03:07 AM »
Hello,

Reviving this post because I'd like to make a suggestion here:

Tapping the preview screen works - the screen goes totally black. Wouldn't it be better to show a small dimming red light somewhere in the middle or in a corner, to indicate the iPad is actively taking the video? Just so I can see the iPad is not dead or out of power.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 12:57:40 PM »
Thank you for the feedback.

An indicator light on the darkened screen has not been requested in the past, however we will add it to our list of potential features to implement in the future.