Author Topic: Red button  (Read 5527 times)

erectorset

• View Profile
Red button
« on: July 23, 2014, 12:07:18 PM »
What's the red button for? I'm assuming to start capturing in video? What happens to the other motion capturing if you push the red button? A good tutorial on the new Pro version would be very helpful. Also, what happened to the ability to change the Frame Rate/Image Quality slider that was on the original version? This new ones seems choppy at times.

erectorset

• View Profile
Re: Red button
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2014, 10:39:53 AM »
Anyone?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2014, 11:58:10 PM »
Yes, the red button is to begin recording Motion Events. The Events Folder Limit can be adjusted to use as little or as much of your computer's hard drive space as you specify. Once the limit is reached, old Events are deleted to make room for new ones. - http://skjm.com/icampro/help/detection.php

erectorset

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:08:54 AM »
Thanks for answering the first part of the question, but you missed the second question, or answered a different question- "Also, what happened to the ability to change the Frame Rate/Image Quality slider that was on the original version? This new ones seems choppy at times."

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 06:47:24 PM »
Thanks for answering the first part of the question, but you missed the second question, or answered a different question- "Also, what happened to the ability to change the Frame Rate/Image Quality slider that was on the original version? This new ones seems choppy at times."

The slider directly affected the JPEG image compression setting of the original iCam. There isn't really a similar corollary with iCam Pro's new video compression algorithm, but you can try unchecking the "Widescreen" or "High Resolution" checkboxes in the iCamSource Pro to see if that improves things for you.

smitty195

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 11:23:15 PM »
THANK YOU for asking and answering about the "red button". I was also wondering what it was. I assumed it was to record something, but I wasn't sure.

I've been using the regular version of iCam on my iPhone/iPad (with an iMac as the base computer) for about 4 years now. I've been very, very happy with it. However, I'm trying to figure out what is better and/or "new and improved" on this new version. I am not a "techy" person so fancy computer lingo won't really help me very much (but thank you anyway). Is there anything specifically that this new system does that the other one did not?

I have read the FAQ, I've read the Support pages, I've read the instructions (which makes no mention of what the red button is for, btw). The page that talks about the new features is mumbo-jumbo to me. As a "lay person" who uses this for home security, it all looks and works the same to me. The controls have been moved around a bit, but that's all I can find. So I'm just curious----am I missing out on some really neat feature that I missed and/or didn't understand when I read the documentation? If so, I'd love for someone to point the way.

Thanks much!

Andy

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 10:51:31 AM »
Thanks for your post.

Have you read the iCam/iCam Pro feature comparison page? - http://skjm.com/icam/

The biggest change in iCam Pro is the new video and audio encoding.  iCamPro uses VP8 video encoding and Vorbis audio encoding.  This change means that iCam Pro has better quality and framerate while using less bandwidth.

Another big change is in the recording feature.  Previously, recordings were stored as sequences of JPEG files.  With the new encoding, the recordings are now stored as standard .webm files that can be played in a web browser or a media player such as VLC.  Additionally, users can now start and stop recording from the iCam Pro app on their phone.

Beyond the media encoding, the most noticeable change for users will be the amount of settings that they can now change remotely from their iOS device.  Most of the settings on the iCamSource Pro desktop program can now be changed from the iCam Pro app.  Examples include the motion detection grid zones, detection thresholds, and scheduling.

Those are probably the changes most noticeable to an existing iCam user.  There are many other new features, such as local LAN discovery, widescreen camera support, sound detection, and auto-detection of MJPEG URLS for IP cameras.