Author Topic: iCam Pro - video saved to dropbox  (Read 5955 times)

bkd

• View Profile
iCam Pro - video saved to dropbox
« on: June 12, 2014, 08:56:43 PM »
I was curious how the new iCam Pro video formats would save to dropbox. Based on my observation using the OSX iCamSource Pro, the following sequence occurs.
During recording, video is accumulated into a <date>.raw file. The file steadily grows. Additional helper files are created at the start of recording. The video is not synced to dropbox while recording is in progress. The helper files are synced right away. This is presumably because the .raw file is still open for writing.

When the motion stops, these helper and .raw files are replaced by a .webm file. At this point the .webm file is synced to dropbox.

Is there a way to guard against this? For instance, say the bad guys steal/disconnect the computer while the computer is recording them or shortly after since the video could be large and take some time to sync. In this case, the evidence is lost in the buffering state.

With regular iCam, the jpegs would be steadily synced to dropbox as they are created.

Thanks,
Benjamin

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: iCam Pro - video saved to dropbox
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 08:04:11 AM »
This is something that we discussed internally during development, and was something that could be alleviated by having the iCamSource Pro also save still images in the same folder which a video is being recorded. Then, when the video is finished recording, the images would be deleted. That way any DropBox-synched sources would still be able to catch intruders that turned off the computer while a video was being recorded.

Would this be a functionality you would be interested in?

I was curious how the new iCam Pro video formats would save to dropbox. Based on my observation using the OSX iCamSource Pro, the following sequence occurs.
During recording, video is accumulated into a <date>.raw file. The file steadily grows. Additional helper files are created at the start of recording. The video is not synced to dropbox while recording is in progress. The helper files are synced right away. This is presumably because the .raw file is still open for writing.

When the motion stops, these helper and .raw files are replaced by a .webm file. At this point the .webm file is synced to dropbox.

Is there a way to guard against this? For instance, say the bad guys steal/disconnect the computer while the computer is recording them or shortly after since the video could be large and take some time to sync. In this case, the evidence is lost in the buffering state.

With regular iCam, the jpegs would be steadily synced to dropbox as they are created.

Thanks,
Benjamin

bkd

• View Profile
Re: iCam Pro - video saved to dropbox
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »
Yes, I'm definitely interested in that solution.

BTW, after playing around with the new iCam Pro, I'm quite happy with the upgrades.

Thanks!
- Benjamin