Author Topic: WEB CAM TO ROUTER W/O A COMPUTER??  (Read 2774 times)

peter

• View Profile
WEB CAM TO ROUTER W/O A COMPUTER??
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:20:12 PM »
Hey this app Icam is amazing thank you. I love being able to use my laptop as a security camera to watch my dogs at home.

Anyone know if there's a web cam I can link to my wireless router (airport express) w/o needing my laptop?

I dont have a desktop at home and I would love to check in on my dogs from work.

Reminder: the airport express has a mini stereo and usb port.

I also have an original Isight Camera that has a firewire port.

Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: WEB CAM TO ROUTER W/O A COMPUTER??
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 12:29:19 PM »
I don't know if the Airport supports webcams,  but it sounds like a Wi-Fi camera would work for you.  We own the Linksys WVC54GCA and a couple of Airlink101 Wi-Fi cameras, which all work fine with iCam.

Realize that iCam requires the iCamSource program to be running on your computer, even for IP cameras.  This is due to the firewall/NAT piercing techniques used by iCam.

peter

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 09:34:49 AM »

Jay, thanks for the web cam info. Looking into them.

So my laptop needs to have icamSource open & running, and my laptop needs to be connected to the internet, wherever it may be, even away from my home wireless network, correct?

iCam requires the iCamSource program to be running on your computer, even for IP cameras.  This is due to the firewall/NAT piercing techniques used by iCam.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »
That is correct.  iCamSource does need to be running and have access to the internet in order for iCam to work.