Author Topic: Record Motion Detection  (Read 3930 times)

xherox

• View Profile
Record Motion Detection
« on: December 22, 2009, 06:35:05 PM »
although icam is, in general, a better app for VIEWING your motion related camera from your iphone I can't understand for the life of me why anyone would use this to "record"

I will however preface this by saying, props to the creator for attempting to add something people were asking for BUT the icam app is so sensitive it basically records 24/7 and when it comes to actually "recording" again the app fails. 

The problem lies in the fact that the app isn't actually recording anything but taking a screenshot every few seconds which ends up being a smeary blurry mess of a file and is an irritation to go through multiples of to try and find just 1 that you're looking for.

I propose this be fixed by the program allowing for the choice of several different video recording types, or just 1 but several would be better, and then the ability to either let it auto record or allowing the user to push a button to record if he/she wishes.

Icam = better for viewing your cam
athomecamera = better for recording your footage

If the next update comes closer to how they do it with more resolution in the recorded video feed then I'd consider icam the #1 on market app.  As it is you're the best for viewing your camera though, I'll def give you that but I rarely use my icam because of the lack of full motion recording.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Record Motion Detection
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2009, 10:16:51 PM »
The iCamSource records when motion is detected, and there is a sensitivity setting that can be adjusted so that you are not constantly recording, although if what you are pointing the camera at is constantly moving, then that may be the case.

The iCamSource monitors the field of view every half-second, and if enough of the image has changed to deem motion being detected, an image is stored. We decided to go down that path since we were wanting the experience to be as useful as possible when connected from the iPhone via both WiFi and 3G/EDGE. Only storing images when motion is detected (instead of starting to record a 15 or 30 fps video regardless of what is going on) is much more efficient when connecting via 3G or EDGE.

You can also easily save and e-mail a specific image of interest as opposed to an entire video without having to think about it.

We gained a lot of experience with iVid when it came to streaming MPEG-4 and H.264 video over 3G and EDGE. Basically it's horrible. ;) That's why we went the way we did.

Your feedback is much appreciated, though, so thanks for that.  ;D

edgotbait

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 06:21:15 PM »
I love the iCam.  I've used it a lot to watch our pets.  I also used it to keep an eye on the home when we were out of town.  I see that you now have record motion events and view motion events.  However, I can get neither to work.  I have turned the record motion events toggle on and send push notification toggle on.  And sometimes the toggles cancel each other out and turn off.  I have not been able to record any motion events of any kind.  I am using version 1.3 at the time and have not received an update.  Also, I am on an iPod Touch (not an iPhone), so I don't always get the notifications.  Is there any way to save it to some other backup source other than my computer (for instance, if someone steals my computer while I'm not at home, how can I view the snapshots of the theft?!).  I am using a Logitech QuickCam Communicate STX camera.  The video is quite good - I have been pleasantly surprised.  The motion detection is somewhat sensitive, as when we were on vacation it notified me when our lights that were on a timer went on and off - pretty cool!  For the most part, I love it.  I would love to be able to capture the motion, however.  At some point, I would like to get a total of 4 cameras for other portions of the house.  Will the motion capture record feature work for each individual camera?  Another question:  if my wife downloads iCam on her iPod Touch, can we both view at the same time, or just one at a time?  Thanks!

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 02:20:29 AM »
Are you running the latest version of iCamSource on your computer?  Is the "Record Motion Events" checkbox checked in the iCamSource window on your computer?

Yes, multiple icam clients can connect to iCamSource at the same time.

edgotbait

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 04:22:45 PM »
ok  i downloaded the latest version of iCamSource  all is working well

Zarkov

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 08:26:06 AM »

Is there any way to save it to some other backup source other than my computer (for instance, if someone steals my computer while I'm not at home, how can I view the snapshots of the theft?!).

Check out this thread http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=615.0 for a great way to do free offsite backups!