Author Topic: iCam not showing picture or camera connected  (Read 7227 times)

anniekuo

• View Profile
iCam not showing picture or camera connected
« on: September 13, 2013, 10:12:32 AM »
I'm using the built-in camera on my MacBoor Air (running OS X version 10.8.5) and when I click Start, there's no picture and the green light from my camera isn't on. I know it's not an issue with my camera because I've tried running other applications that use the camera and picture is showing up fine.

I've tried restarting my laptop as well as reinstall iCamSource. Still no luck

iCam Source says it's connected to server but again, no picture and the preview screen is white.

Please advise.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:14:53 AM by anniekuo »

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: iCam not showing picture or camera connected
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:18:17 PM »
anniekuo is receiving support via email.

marksd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 02:48:56 PM »
How did this get resolved?  I am having an identical issue.

anniekuo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 09:18:31 PM »
It hasn't been resolved. The person emailed me once to troubleshoot and never returned any of my numerous emails. I'm ready to contact customer support and get my money back. This is BS

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 10:39:32 PM »
How did this get resolved?  I am having an identical issue.

Thank you for your post. As we have advised anniekuo via email, for a Built-In/USB camera, you'll need to select the "USB /Built-In / Firewire" tab in iCamSource and select the webcam from the Video drop down list. If your camera doesn't show up in the Video drop down list in iCamSource, please let me know what entries do show up in the list.

Also, please make sure there aren't any other video capture programs (such as Skype) running. They might be fighting iCamSource for access to the camera.

If that does not work, close the iCamSource application and then delete your com.skjm.icamsource.plist file in your Library/Preferences folder in your home folder. Then, when you re-start the iCamSource, you will be starting with a fresh set of preferences, and hopefully things will act as expected.

If you are running Lion it hides the ~/Library directory for some reason. You can get to that directory by running Finder and then holding the Option key while clicking on the "Go" menu at the top of the screen. If you're holding down the Option key, "Library" will be one of the choices available. You should choose Library, then open the Preferences folder. The plist file will be in there.

Proudk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2013, 06:10:10 PM »
I'm having same issue. Tried all troubleshooting and no cameras are showing in built-in options. Running OS X 10.8.5. Camera works for other apps and I've shut those down to make sure camera isn't competing. Downloaded iCam Source 2.7.1.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2013, 01:19:37 PM »
We are unable to replicate this issue on any of our test machines with Built-In iSight cameras, unfortunately.

Have you tried these iSight troubleshooting tips from Apple? - http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2090

Have you tried using the webcam in both FaceTime and PhotoBooth to see if it is recognized?

Googling for "iSight 10.8.5" does turn up this support document, but I am not sure if the solution detailed will work for this issue: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5306216?start=0&tstart=0

For users who are experiencing this issue, if you could go to the Apple menu on your Mac and choose "About This Mac" and then click the "More Info..." button and post what Mac you are experiencing this with (similar to "Mac Pro Mid 2010" or "MacBook Air 13-inch Mid 2012") that may help us narrow down the issue.

We have tested this issue on the following Macs and do not see the problem with Mac OS X 10.8.5:

- MacBook Air 13-inch Mid 2012
- MacBook Pro 13-inch Mid 2009
- MacBook 13-inch Aluminum Late 2008
- Mac Pro Mid 2010 with 27-inch LED Cinema Display
- MacBook Air 11-inch Late 2010
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 01:25:57 PM by Stefan »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2013, 01:25:38 PM »
Another Apple support forum thread (https://discussions.apple.com/message/22986701) links to this thread (https://discussions.apple.com/message/22971993) that has links to ways to fix the issue with 3rd-Party applications like Skype. (Apparently these users did not have issues with Apple's own Photo Booth and FaceTime apps detecting the camera.)

Proudk

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 03:49:45 PM »
I have asked my friend for his exact laptop details but he just bought it last Thursday and it's a Mac Air. FaceTime and Photobooth worked fine and green light came on. But in iCamSource, no video option for built-in appeared.  Rebooted, re-installed, etc. and still a no go.  I sent him the links below and will let you know what he says. Thanks!

anniekuo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 05:17:36 PM »
I found an Apple Camera plug-in that fixed the problem.

It's for Skype but the same issues apply for iCam too. I downloaded the plug-in, followed the instructions and the iCam works now!

http://community.skype.com/t5/Mac/OS-X-10-8-5-broke-Video-on-MacBook-Air/m-p/1897623/highlight/true#M58248[/url]