Author Topic: Burglary  (Read 4084 times)

rjgvt

• View Profile
Burglary
« on: March 04, 2013, 05:51:32 AM »
The inevitable finally happened again at my remote location (hunting camp). This past Thursday, a burglar broke into my camp. He looked at the cameras that were point out of the front window. I keep a dusk to dawn light on and was able to get a half face image. He had a ski mask on, but hopefully enough of his face was showing for the state police to catch up with him. I had 2 IP cams, 2 Logitech webcams and a computer there for the webcams. I use Dropbox for saving the images. The only thing he took was the computer. I'm guessing that he thought he stole the images from the cameras. I have a motion light inside of the camp to come on to get good images for the camera that is pointed at the door, but it failed to come on. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!! I fixed it the other day when I went down there to secure the door. I'm not going to replace the computer and just use IP cameras running on Icamsource on my home computer. The 2 IP cams were already running at home using a host domain anyways, so no learning curve needed.

After corresponding with the state police since the incident, it appears that the thief had broken into 2 other places that night. I wish they would come around when I was there!! Today I will be ordering a new entry door.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Burglary
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2013, 12:41:25 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about the burglary.  I hope they find the guy that did it.

The scenario you mentioned should work technically, however you should be aware that using remote IP cameras that are on a different network than the computer running iCamSource will use a lot of bandwidth over time.  It would basically be sending video over your internet connection 24/7.  That could cause a problem if your internet connection bandwidth is limited or has a soft cap.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2013, 05:30:12 PM »
I had a computer that got stolen and I'm not in a hurry to replace it. Right now I just have 2 IP cams, one pointed outside and one inside. I really liked the Logitech webcam images.

I'm not sure if there is a bandwidth cap or not, I'll have to check.

gsammons

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2013, 06:36:31 PM »
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate theft. I'm new to the software and have just used it for a brief time on my MacBook Pro. your post did answer a question I had about the software I assumed there was some way to send the images to the web since most thieves would steal the computer if they noticed it. Is it complicated to set up to spool to dropbox or I assume you can  send your data to iCloud also?  Thanks

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »
It's easy to set up! You can use Dropbox, Google Drive, or presumably iCloud. You might test to see which one has the fastest upload speed, though...you want the motion events to get backed up off-site QUICKLY!

AndresBailey

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2013, 04:55:02 AM »
The inevitable finally happened again at my remote location (hunting camp). This past Thursday, a burglar broke into my camp. He looked at the cameras that were point out of the front window. I keep a dusk to dawn light on and was able to get a half face image. He had a ski mask on, but hopefully enough of his face was showing for the state police to catch up with him. I had 2 IP cams, 2 Logitech webcams and a computer there for the webcams. I use Dropbox for saving the images. The only thing he took was the computer. I'm guessing that he thought he stole the images from the cameras. I have a motion led lighting inside of the camp to come on to get good images for the camera that is pointed at the door, but it failed to come on. Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!! I fixed it the other day when I went down there to secure the door. I'm not going to replace the computer and just use IP cameras running on Icamsource on my home computer. The 2 IP cams were already running at home using a host domain anyways, so no learning curve needed.

After corresponding with the state police since the incident, it appears that the thief had broken into 2 other places that night. I wish they would come around when I was there!! Today I will be ordering a new entry door.

hard to hear it but such incidents must be tackled very carefully.. Hope it not happens in future
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 10:43:59 AM by AndresBailey »