Author Topic: New Releases : iCam 2.3 (iOS) & iCamSource 2.7  (Read 8786 times)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
New Releases : iCam 2.3 (iOS) & iCamSource 2.7
« on: July 22, 2013, 11:10:42 AM »
The latest updates to iCam (iOS) and the iCamSource are being released today.

The changes include:

- Added support for the High Resolution and Proxy Support functionalities included in iCam 2.3 (iOS). (Android support is coming soon.)
- The iCamSource Preferences window now un-hides itself when a user attempts to re-launch the iCamSource when it is already running.

The new version of iCam can be found on the Apple App Store. The new versions of the iCamSource can be downloaded below.

Windows XP / Vista / 7 - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSourceSetup2.7.7VXP.exe
Windows 8 - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSourceSetup2.7.Win8.exe

Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and later - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource2.7.dmg
Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5 (Tiger & Leopard) - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource_Tiger_Leopard_2.7.dmg

As always, if anyone has any questions, issues, or comments about the functionality, please let us know.

Thanks! :)

UPDATE - The Mac version of the iCamSource has been updated to 2.7.1 to address a crash that was occurring when Android iCam users were attempting to view a list of Motion Events.

Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and later - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource2.7.1.dmg
Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5 (Tiger & Leopard) - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource_Tiger_Leopard_2.7.1.dmg
« Last Edit: July 25, 2013, 12:15:53 PM by Stefan »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: New Releases : iCam 2.3 (iOS) & iCamSource 2.7
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 11:58:44 AM »
So is this why you guys implemented 256-bit encryption recently, in preparation for the proxy support? :) I like it!

Also, your decision to go this route...does that mean you're not likely to allow advanced users to directly connect to their icamsource computer (without using a proxy or broker server) through the use of dynamic DNS or static IP address? I would still love this feature, and it would reduce the broker server data cost (granted, probably to a small degree).

satom

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 12:00:48 PM »
What was the high resolution functionality added?  Couldn't find an explanation on this on the website.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 12:13:42 PM »
So is this why you guys implemented 256-bit encryption recently, in preparation for the proxy support? :) I like it!

You are correct sir. :)

We have always known that Proxy Support was the ultimate solution to the network configurations that we couldn't engineer around. The zero-config connection logic still works for the vast majority of users, but there will always be configurations where it just won't work without either moving routers around in your network, putting routers in bridge mode, or forwarding ports in your router.

Since we knew we would eventually need to implement some sort of proxying for those users, we knew that everything would need to be heavily encrypted first.

Also, your decision to go this route...does that mean you're not likely to allow advanced users to directly connect to their icamsource computer (without using a proxy or broker server) through the use of dynamic DNS or static IP address? I would still love this feature, and it would reduce the broker server data cost (granted, probably to a small degree).

Connecting directly to the iCamSource without the Broker Server is something that we have discussed in the past, but so few users have requested that feature that it probably won't be implemented any time soon. It just makes  things more complicated, where most users want things to be easier.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 12:16:34 PM »
What was the high resolution functionality added?  Couldn't find an explanation on this on the website.

Enabling the High Resolution option (available only on Retina Display devices) will cause iCam to ask the iCamSource for higher-resolution images when available. (640x480 is the highest currently supported resolution.)

What that means, essentially, is that when the option is enabled in iCam, all of the images on the iPhone and iPod touch will be higher-resolution, as will the thumbnail images on the iPad. (The iPad's larger screen could already display 640x480 images when zoomed in and when playing back motion events.)

satom

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:26:58 PM »
Does that mean the recorded motion event images will be the highest the camera is capable of?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 12:36:16 PM »
Does that mean the recorded motion event images will be the highest the camera is capable of?

No, the images captured by the iCamSource will still be 640x480, but now Retina Display devices will be able to see higher-resolution images in iCam.

Increasing the size of the images captured by the iCamSource as well as supporting High Definition 16:9 aspect ratio streams are something that we are looking into, but there are many aspects of the software that we would need to take into account. (Increased storage requirements, increased processor usage, increased bandwidth, etc.) Additionally, displaying a mix of 4:3 and 16:9 streams on 16:9 (iPhone 5), 1.5:1 (iPhone 4S and earlier), and 4:3 (iPad) aspect ratio screens is going to need some working out.

Again, it is something that we are looking into, but for this release, the maximum image size is still 640x480.

satom

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 12:52:50 PM »
Is there a known way to force it on our end if we wanted larger images?

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 01:12:17 PM »
Is there a known way to force it on our end if we wanted larger images?

Not currently, no.

Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 04:38:16 PM »
I just wanted to make sure I understood.  If I enable the Proxy option, will it always try Peer to Peer first?  I only would want to do Proxy if Peer to Peer failed.

Thanks,
Merlin

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 07:00:48 PM »
I just wanted to make sure I understood.  If I enable the Proxy option, will it always try Peer to Peer first?  I only would want to do Proxy if Peer to Peer failed.

Thanks,
Merlin

Yes, iCam always tries to make a peer-to-peer connection, regardless of the Proxy Support option setting.

If the peer-to-peer connection takes more than 5 seconds to connect, iCam will first try a Public Proxy connection (if enabled) and then, if that fails, a Private Proxy connection (if data is available) before giving up with a Source Connection Error.

Additionally, if the peer-to-peer connection takes more than 5 seconds to complete, it will close any proxied connection when it does eventually connect. Leaving the Proxy Support option ON will only use a proxied connection if the peer-to-peer connection fails completely.