Author Topic: Using IP Phone as a video source  (Read 4406 times)

scotia

• View Profile
Using IP Phone as a video source
« on: December 16, 2009, 01:26:06 AM »
Hi all,

I am hoping to utilize a spare iPhone as a video source to ICam.
I guess I have two questions:
  Is there an iPhone version of the iCamSource software?
  Secondly, has anyone managed to get another iPhone app, simply called "IP Camera" working with iCam?  That app renders a page (which includes JavaScript) which is basically a still frame that refreshes every so often. Looking at the HTML I found it populates a URL (http://ipaddr/getCameraJpg) with an image at regular intervals. (in fact the page redered is not HTML I think but simply a JPG image). Does iCam support the regular refresh an display of stills?  It would work well with IP Camera if it did. When I give that URL to iCam it throws an error.

Thanks for a great app in iCam
Scott

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Using IP Phone as a video source
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2009, 11:35:58 AM »
Currently there is no iPhone version of the iCamSource software, no.

The iCamSource does support connecting to JPEG network cameras, so if you entered http://ipaddr/getCameraJpg into the iCamSource as a JPEG URL it should connect if what Ip Camera returns is a standard JPEG image.

Actually, I just purchased Ip Camera and can confirm that it does not currently work with the iCamSource, and that is because the image that Ip Camera returns is extremely large (almost 2 MB) which is much larger than the 1 MB limit that the iCamSource expects the image to be.

I could make a change to the iCamSource to increase the max image size, but the frame rate that you are going to be seeing will be horrible, just because Ip Camera takes so long to transfer the 2 MB image file. That, and it doesn't seem to update the image at all sometimes. Ip Cameras doesn't really seem "ready for prime-time" in my opinion. ;)

scotia

• View Profile
Re: Using IP Phone as a video source
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 12:29:28 AM »
Stefan,

I'm not too worried about the frame rate (I'd rather see something once a minute than not at all), but I can see what you mean when you say it's a limitation.  2MB is rather big for a JPG.  Too inefficient for technologies like GPRS/3G.

Thanks for checking it out though.  Hopefully it was a couple of bucks well spent!

Scott