Author Topic: Cant open the program  (Read 2394 times)

norteig

• View Profile
Cant open the program
« on: July 15, 2013, 07:55:27 AM »
I installed it a few days ago and tested it.  Worked fine, closed it out and now today I can't open it, neither through the icon on my desktop nor from start, programs, icam source.

There is no icon on my windows taskbar.

Question # 2:
I have a laptop, an ipad and an iphone.  Can I use my ipad as a second laptop and get video feed from two sources at once?

edited to add: I've just noticed that iTunes is open on my laptop....when I go to Apps, icam is not there.  Meaningful?

« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 08:26:34 AM by norteig »

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cant open the program
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 02:32:08 PM »
It's possible that the registry key has somehow gotten into a bad state.

Please download and run (double-click) this file: http://skjm.com/icam/CleaniCamKey.reg

That will erase the current iCamSource settings in your registry. You will need to re-enter all of your settings, but hopefully the problem will be resolved if it's due to a problem in the registry.

You can set up your iPad as a WiFi network IP camera with our latest app ipCam.

In order to view it on your computer or another iDevice it would then need to connected, like any other WiFi network IP camera, to a computer running iCamSource.

More information about ipCam can be found here: http://skjm.com/ipcam/

norteig

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2013, 08:18:24 AM »
I think the biggest problem is me and my inability to articulate my experience.  I now have ipcam loaded on both ipad and iphone.
The title of this thread is probably wrong for starters.  I was expecting to click on icamsource and have something open up.  If I right click on it I can go to properties so I think that is fine.

I have read and re-read the directions a thousand times.  I'm sure it's about my settings and I am clueless as to how to troubleshoot it further.

Current status is that my phone shows four frames but only one picture which is the camera in the laptop.  I see the room with no one in it.  Problem # 1 is that I am sitting in front of the laptop camera but I'm not in the picture shown on the iphone.  The ipad, in the meantime, which is downstairs is running ipcam and I can see the room (live) when in front of the ipad but there is no picture/video of the downstairs on my iphone.

Iphone has 4 frames, only one frame has a picture but it's not live, whatever the ipad is looking at is not visible on my iphone. It's all about he lingo and I don't speak it.  :(
If anyone would be willing to call me and talk me through it I know it would be resolved in less time it took me to type this.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 12:39:59 PM »
I'm not employed/related to SKJM, but have helped a beginner over the phone before. With that being said, it took a significant amount of time...and I don't have time to repeat the experience. But maybe this will help you understand the basic terminology:

icamsource.exe - This is a program that monitors all of your camera sources (USB cameras, built-in webcams, IP cameras, or ipCam sources such as the iPhone or iPad). This program can run on a PC or a Mac, and it must be running whenever you want to be able to view one of your cameras in the iCam app (described below). When the iCam app successfully connects to icamsource.exe, icamsource delivers all of the video feeds to iCam. Whenever icamsource.exe is running on your computer, it is doing a few things (depending on how you set it up): it's waiting for a connection with iCam, it's processing all of the video feeds to detect for motion, it's recording motion events, and it's sending motion notifications to your devices that have the iCam app installed on them.

iCam - This is an app that can run on your smart phone (Apple or Android) or on your tablet (iPad or Android). It connects, through the Internet, to the computer running icamsource, at which point icamsource begins sending the video feed(s) to iCam. By default, iCam displays 4 boxes, but it can display up to 12 or 16...more than the number of cameras I have. If you have 2 camera sources, 2 of the 4 boxes will display a small, live feed from those 2 cameras. You can then tap on either feed to zoom in to just one camera...and this will also give you access to some of the icamsource settings for that one camera (requires another tap to see these settings once you have zoomed into that camera). Additionally, if you have a camera that sends audio and you have correctly set it up in icamsource, you will begin receiving audio while zoomed into that camera (assuming your phone volume is turned up and the phone is not on silent).

ipCam - This is an app that can run on your iPhone or iPad and turns that device into an IP camera (a network cameras) as long as the ipCam app is running. Just like USB cameras or regular IP cameras, these ipCam(eras) must be added as a video source in icamsource on the computer. I have not used ipCam, but I would assume that you would want to assign your iPhone and/or iPad a static IP address on your local network so that the link for the ipCam device that you use in icamsource will always be the same. I would imagine that adding an ipCam source to icamsource would be virtually the same as adding an IP camera (assign the camera a static IP address, obtain the correct link to the camera's video feed, and use that link in icamsource to add it as a video source). Once you remove one of the ipCam devices from your local Wi-Fi network, ipCam will no longer function. So ipCam will only be helpful when the app is running and when the device is connected to your Wi-Fi (which needs to be on the same local network as the computer running icamsource).

Hope this helps you clear up some of your confusion.

norteig

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2013, 01:22:49 PM »
I thank you for your sympathy and understand your hesitancy to get dragged down by me.  I guess I made myself sound pretty stupid successfully.

I'm on track all through till the last paragraph. I understand that those things need to be done, just not 'getting it' as to how to get it done.

Not to mention the part about the static picture that I am getting which was at some point yesterday!  :)

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2013, 03:15:11 PM »
Sorry, I must've skipped that paragraph when I read your prior post. A static image...could mean your laptop's webcam locked up? When you open icamsource on the computer (when there's a static image displayed in the iCam app), is a static image also displayed in the icamsource window when you are on the correct camera tab? If the "Start" button in icamsource was clicked, you should be able to see the live camera feeds by clicking through the various cameras using the tabs on the left. When you click on the appropriate tab for the laptop's camera, you should see live video from it. If it's a static image, it's most likely a driver or software issue. I guess it could be a power-saving issue (the laptop is going to sleep or disabling USB devices--including the webcam--to save power). The last, and I think, least likely, possibility would be a connection issue. If icamsource is displaying the live feed correctly, but iCam is showing an old static image, I'd follow up here and see if SKJM has any ideas. If the image is static in icamsource and iCam, try making sure that you have the latest drivers. If the webcam works for a while, and then freezes up, you can use a batch file to automatically restart icamsource (which restarts your webcam) every so often. It's not an ideal solution, but it'd allow you to make use of your webcam, despite the glitch driver. If it comes to that point, let me know and I'll send you the batch file directions.

As far as assigning your smart devices a static IP address....go to Settings > Wi-Fi > click on the arrow by your network > write down all of the info under the DHCP tab > click the Static tab and enter all of the information that you just wrote down (probably IP address, subnet mask, router and dns--probably the same IP addresses). Repeat the directions for each device running ipCam. Note: All of the information will be the same for each device EXCEPT the IP address...so do NOT re-use the IP address. Once each device has a static IP address, simply follow the instructions for ipCAM in terms of what link to use in icamsource (each link will start with the IP address of the device running ipCam).