Author Topic: Recommend me a camera for iCam  (Read 3769 times)

samwalker22

• View Profile
Recommend me a camera for iCam
« on: June 14, 2013, 05:50:13 AM »
Hi

I'm looking for a camera for iCam. I've read the post regarding recommended cameras however I'd still prefer to ask before purchasing.

- I'd like my camera to work without my laptop being left on, preferably not wired to the laptop if thats possible?
- I'd need to be able to view it over a 3G connection on my iphone
- It'll be used for watching our dog and new puppy when I'm not in the house
- Not looking to spend a lot - doesn't have to be the greatest image quality, but at the same time I don't want a really poor image
- My laptop is a macbook if that makes any difference
- Been looking at the "Foscam FI8918W Wireless/Wired Pan & Tilt IP Camera" - Any good?

Thanks

rjgvt

• View Profile
Re: Recommend me a camera for iCam
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:47:31 AM »
If you want to run Icamsource and view on Icam, a computer needs to be on.

If you want to view a USB webcam on Icam, it must be connected to a running computer running Icamsource.

If you want to view an IP camera, you will need to set up the cam with the computer, but it will not need to be left on as the camera will be connected to the router, wired or wireless. The camera can be viewed on your smart phone using one of several apps. If you want to view the IP camera with Icam, the computer must be on running Icamsource.

samwalker22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 08:35:24 AM »
So basically icam is not for me if I want to be able to view my cam without computer being turned on?

What app would be suitable for viewing cam remotely from an ip camera without computer being turned on?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »
Unfortunately, we are not familiar with any other Apps that allow you to connect direct to a WiFi Network IP camera. Also, please see a reply on this string: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=5143.new;topicseen#new

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 07:56:07 PM »
There are a few Apps to view IP cams remotely. It involves port forwarding and using a host domain (unless you have a static IP address). I have 3 IP cams running remotely without a computer and using Icamsource on a home computer that I can also see remotely. I can also see all IP cams with an App on my Droid phone. I'm not going to get into the details here because it is an Icamsource forum and I love the program.

I have a dedicated computer just for running Icamsource. If you don't want to leave your computer powered on, then you'll have to find another way to do what you want to accomplish.

35remington

• View Profile
Recommend me a camera for iCam
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 08:29:01 PM »
Don't listen to any of these people who tell you this can't be done. Look at the Foscam FI8910W on Amazon. I have 4 of them.

When iCam is running on your computer, motion events will be recorded. When your computer is off, you can still log in to the camera on your mobile phone and see the live view.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 12:55:57 AM »
When iCamSource is running on your computer, Motion Events can be recorded on your computer. However, you need to make sure that your computer isn't configured to go into Sleep or Hibernate mode after a period of inactivity. If your computer is asleep, the iCamSource will not be actively running, and you will not be able to connect. There is more information about setting up iCam here: http://skjm.com/icam/help/

Don't listen to any of these people who tell you this can't be done. Look at the Foscam FI8910W on Amazon. I have 4 of them.

When iCam is running on your computer, motion events will be recorded. When your computer is off, you can still log in to the camera on your mobile phone and see the live view.