Author Topic: [REQ] Image quality settings / USB Cam URL / iCamSource preferences  (Read 4938 times)

derk001

• View Profile
Setting: I have two Linksys WVC54GCA camera's and a Logitech Quickcam Pro for Notebooks USB camera and I run Mac OSX Snow Leopard 10.6.2

1:I know my Linksys don't support anything over 640x480 BUT, the Quickcam should be able to support 1280x1024. How can I use that resolution in iCam or iCamSource? Logitech doesn't have software for OSX, so I can't look there.

2: How can i get the URL for my USB camera? How do I need to address iCamSource?

3: The tiny preview of iCamSource, how can I get it bigger? I'd like to be able to view my cams on the big screen. :-)

Any help is appreciated!  :)

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [REQ] Image quality settings / USB Cam URL / iCamSource preferences
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 11:38:40 AM »
The image captured from your webcam is resized to fit on the iPhone screen before it's sent to iCam.  The 640x480 image is already being resized smaller, so using a larger input resolution would just increase the amount of image processing without gaining any image quality.  The preview screen in iCamSource is currently fixed size.  It's meant to show a preview of the image size that will be displayed on the iPhone.

Since your camera is a USB camera, it doesn't need an MJPEG URL.  The MJPEG URL is for network cameras.

For a USB camera, you'll need to select the "USB / Built-In / Firewire"  tab in iCamSource and select your webcam from the Video drop down list.

derk001

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 01:24:44 PM »
The image captured from your webcam is resized to fit on the iPhone screen before it's sent to iCam.  The 640x480 image is already being resized smaller, so using a larger input resolution would just increase the amount of image processing without gaining any image quality.  The preview screen in iCamSource is currently fixed size.  It's meant to show a preview of the image size that will be displayed on the iPhone.

Since your camera is a USB camera, it doesn't need an MJPEG URL.  The MJPEG URL is for network cameras.

For a USB camera, you'll need to select the "USB / Built-In / Firewire"  tab in iCamSource and select your webcam from the Video drop down list.

The iCamSource acts as a server right? It is possible to use the CamWeb interface, but if I would like to build my own page, can I just dip in the source of CamWeb? It's the URL to the USB cam I need. ;-)

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 10:59:48 PM »
iCamSource does act as a server, but it doesn't act as an HTTP server, so it doesn't have a URL associated with it.  iCamWeb actually uses a trusted Java applet which uses the same UDP based network protocol that iCam uses.