Author Topic: Attempting to Make icam work on a guest network  (Read 2825 times)

HotelSpy

• View Profile
Attempting to Make icam work on a guest network
« on: May 28, 2013, 05:16:13 PM »
I bought the icam to keep track of housekeeping at hotels. I stay at a different hotel every two or three weeks. I can't seem to get it to work at all. I run guest networks. When I'm on the network I can see everything just fine.

The moment I disconnect my iphone from the network I can't see a thing. I get a source error. When I auto-config it says it's a Upnp problem. I can play PS3 just fine on the network.

Is there anyway to make this work or did I waste 5 dollars?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Attempting to Make icam work on a guest network
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2013, 09:36:56 PM »
In my experience, auto config isn't usually necessary when using only one camera in icamsource. Have you tried without auto-config checked? If you can't get it to work, you might try installing DropBox (free) and configuring icamsource to record motion events in the DropBox folder. Hopefully DropBox will work correctly, despite the network restrictions imposed upon you by the hotels you visit (such as uPNP being disabled on their routers...hence the uPNP error). To see if DropBox is working, simply cause a motion event by walking in front of the camera...then install the free DropBox app on your phone/tablet and login to see if the pictures from the motion event are there. If it works, you'll know have an off-site backup of your motion events (in case your laptop is stolen)....so it's good practice to use DropBox.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Attempting to Make icam work on a guest network
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2013, 10:39:57 PM »
In addition to  OUAnthony's suggestion, the most likely explanation is that the hotel's network is not allowing the iCam traffic.  Hotel Wi-Fi networks can be very restrictive.  Often, they will only allow web browsing and email. 

One thing you can try is to enable the "Auto-Config Router" option in iCamSource. That will attempt to use UPnP to open a port in the router so that your computer can communicate with remote networks.  It's most likely that the Hotel network won't allow the Auto-Config Router option to work, but it's worth trying.

Also, please quit or disable all firewall software on the computer running iCamSource (temporarily) to see if iCam starts working.  If it does, we can configure the firewall to work with iCam.