Author Topic: Anyone try Foscam FI8919W Wireless Outdoor Camera?  (Read 18092 times)

macaddiict

• View Profile
Anyone try Foscam FI8919W Wireless Outdoor Camera?
« on: December 21, 2012, 02:00:52 AM »
Just came across this camera (says MJPEG compression) and wondered if it would work with iCam…

http://foscam.us/outdoor-cameras/foscam-fi8919w-wireless-ip-camera.html

It is pan/tilt in a protective housing, which is very interesting.

I may just order it and see if I can get it to work.

macaddiict

• View Profile
Re: Anyone try Foscam FI8919W Wireless Outdoor Camera?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2012, 02:07:31 AM »
Ah, looking at images, it seems the camera I'm discussing is also sold as an Agasio A622W.

Others have said the Agasio works with iCam, so it seems compatible.

However, the Agasio gets terrible reviews on Amazon for the type of situation I was going to use it for. Apparently it has some bugs that haven't been ironed out, and the nigh vision is flawed (reflections).

Sounds like a better plan for me would be to just install a light and some other outdoor wifi camera (without night vision).
« Last Edit: December 21, 2012, 02:22:04 AM by macaddiict »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 07:23:59 AM »
If you like the camera (other than the night vision issues), and if it's cheap enough to worth risking, you can always open up the camera and disconnect the IR lights...or there might even be an option in the camera's settings page to disable the IR. I think the newer FOSCAM comes with an IR cut filter, which I believe helps improve the colors during daytime to make them more accurate. I'm not sure if the one you're talking about is the new version, but it sounds like the filter would be nice to have in whatever you get. If you disable the IR lights on the camera, you can hook up an IR flood light right next to it, although you should be careful to not make the light too powerful. Not very bright at close distances, and very bright for long distances. Example light:

http://www.amazon.com/CMVision-IR30-WideAngle-IR-Illuminator/dp/B001P2E4U4/ref=pd_sim_e_3

Or it'd be cheaper (most likely) to hook up a normal light on a motion detector and have color video to boot, instead of the black and white night vision. I guess it depends on what you want.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2012, 07:29:37 AM »
Also, I should point out that different cameras are sensitive (able to see) to different wavelengths of IR light. The IR flood light I linked to as an example outputs 850nm light according to the description...so that light may or may not work with your camera.

macaddiict

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2012, 09:45:05 AM »
Thank you for the info.

I ended up buying an outdoor Foscam model and will install it with a regular security light for now. Hopefully this will work!

35remington

• View Profile
Anyone try Foscam FI8919W Wireless Outdoor Camera?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 06:01:38 PM »
How did this work out for you?

macaddiict

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 08:03:15 PM »
I ended up buying a Foscam FI8904W (I purchased from Amazon through the seller
"Foscam Digital Technologies LLC" which seems to be the US distributor. I'd imagine buying direct from Amazon.com as the seller would be safe, too, but they were out of stock when I ordered.) If you look at the Amazon reviews, my review is on there and mentions iCam

Anyway, I installed the camera with a simple 2-light flood light above it. This lights up the area well but means I don't know how well night vision works on the camera.

I've been VERY happy with the Foscam FI8904W. It was just as easy to set up as the AirLink models I use indoor, and I feel the Foscam has much higher image quality -- especially color quality. It has been just as reliable (doesn't freeze or lose connections) as the inside cameras. Also, I am using it wirelessly and it has worked great.

The only thing I can complain about is that the plug is pretty large -- so you'll have to make a 1" or so circular opening in your wall or outdoor surface to snake the wire inside. This was fine for my install, but I see it could cause issues with certain installation locations if you couldn't easily drill a 1" hole.

1 thing to know: you must set up the camera for the first time with it plugged in via ethernet. That is how you choose the wireless network. If you changed your router out or changed your wireless network name, you'd need to re-connect to the camera through ethernet to change the settings. Keep this in mind.

Here are two sample images. Note: camera is mounted approx 16' high and faces downwards at a pretty steep angle.

NIGHT (11pm -- note: this is not an IR image, it has the floodlight above it)

low light DUSK (7pm)

Daytime performance is even better.