Author Topic: iCam Loss of Connectivity  (Read 4303 times)

Piper9t3

• View Profile
iCam Loss of Connectivity
« on: December 14, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
Hello
I have two HP laptops with built in webcams for my iCamSources.  I am running the iCam app via my android mobile phone (Google - Nexus).  My router is an SMC 8014WG.  All connections work via wifi.  My problems occur when connected via 3G.  I have followed the directions to port forward a range of ports for each iCamsource.  After clicking Auto-Config Router and pressing Start I get the message for UPnP success and I am usually able to connect at least one of my iCamSources via 3G (they dont always both connect simultaneously?).  However after establishing a 3G connection, after a certain period of time, I lose connectivity and get a Source Connection Error for both of my iCamSources.  After receiving this error, I Stop the iCamSource and restart the iCamSource which automatically cycles to the next port and i am then able to regain connection only to lose it again after a short period of time?? I cannot maintain a constant reliable 3G connection which is frustrating!
Your advice and suggestions to correct this problem is much appreciated.
John

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: iCam Loss of Connectivity
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 06:03:52 PM »
If I remember correctly, I tried using uPNP for 2 computers on one network...and the router had issues getting uPNP commands from both computers at the same time...maybe they were fighting over the same ports? My solution was to assign each computer a static IP address on the network, then configure manual port forwarding in the router (forwarded UDP ports 12000-120005 to one computer's IP address and 12006-12010 to the other), and finally enabled manual port forwarding in icamsource on each computer (by using the .reg file) and typing in the corresponding ports. This should fix your connectivity issues. It might not be as seemless as auto configuration, but it's rock solid once you get it set up. I never have connection issues...never have to restart my router or computers...etc.

Piper9t3

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 07:04:22 PM »
Thanks for the advice OUAnthony.  I have downloaded free Port forward  Static IP Address software and it is recommending the same static IP address for both my laptops?  Can they be the same or shall I assign a new static IP for one of them?
Thanks

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 07:43:18 PM »
No, they cannot have the same IP address...you would lose network connectivity on one of the computers due to an IP address conflict. To verify that the IP address change has been implemented, click Start > type "ncpa.cpl" (without quotes) into the search box at the bottom (or click Run and type it in there) and hit enter. In the window that opens, right-click on "local area connection" (it might be connection 2 or 3 if you're using wireless) and click properties. Then double-click on "Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)." The radio button "Use the following IP address" should be selected, the IP address should be the one assigned by your free software (, the Subnet mask should be 255.255.255.0, and the Default gateway should be set to your router's IP address. The DNS server addresses should already be populated with DNS information from your ISP (or maybe your router's IP address).

Just make sure that the IP addresses that you assign to the computers are different than the IP address of any other device on your network (including other computers, the router, any cell phones, smart TV's, etc). If you aren't sure, if an IP address is already taken on your network, click Start > type "cmd" (without quotes) and hit Enter, type "ping xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" (without quotes and where xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the IP address that you want to test). Ex: ping 192.168.1.10. If the destination host is unreachable, then the IP address is available.

Piper9t3

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 07:59:43 PM »
OK Makes sense I will assign different static IP address for each iCamSource webcam which will not conflict with other network devices and then adjust settings on my router.  Hope this will provide an uninterrupted 3G connection....Your input is very much appreciated!

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
No problem. I'll check back a few times tonight, so post back if you run into any problems.

Piper9t3

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 09:38:36 AM »
Still having 3G connection problems. Since I have assigned static IP address for both my iCamSources, I have set single ports for each of my iCamSources in my router port forward settings.  When I start up the iCamSources, I have unchecked the Port Range option and checked the Auto-Config Router option.  I get a message ``UPnP Success 12001-12001`` however this is not the port I have assigned in my router settings.  Regardless of which port opens, I may get 3G connectivity but the connection drops after a while and the Source Connection Error is displayed on my Android device. 

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 10:20:15 AM »
Ok, a couple of things:

1) In the router, change the port forwarding to allow for a range of at least 4 or 5 UDP ports per computer/icamsource. Ex: 12000-12005 for one computer and 12006-12010 for the other

2) You need to uncheck the "auto config router" box on both computers and instead use the port range option. To use the port range option, I believe there's a box that says "enable manual port forwarding" or something to that effect. If you don't see that, make sure you have run the file linked below (you might need to restart icamsource to see the change). Make sure that you enter the appropriate port range for that IP address (based on what you used in the router port forwarding settings).

http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSourcePortForwarding.reg

When using manual port forwarding, you won't see any uPNP messages in icamsource.

Piper9t3

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 02:25:45 PM »
So I have adjusted the settings in my router to enable a range of ports for each laptop/iCamSource.  I have unchecked Auto-Config Router, checked Port Range and input the port range for each laptop/iCamSource.  I do not get the UPnP message now but unfortunately I get the Source Connection Error and no 3G connection at all!!  Is it possible to post screenies of my settings for you to see???  Your assistance in helping me resolve this is very much appreciated.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2012, 08:18:39 PM »
Sorry, I've been away from the computer for a while. It looks like there's an option to post attachments...so if you can do it, screenshots would definitely help. Post one of your router port forwarding settings, one of each of the static IP address settings screen (using the instructions I posted to verify the settings...not from the free software), and one of each icamsource.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2012, 11:40:53 PM »
Problem solved.