Author Topic: 4 Internet IP Camera Recommendations (Wired & Wireless)  (Read 3333 times)

xcalibr

• View Profile
4 Internet IP Camera Recommendations (Wired & Wireless)
« on: March 26, 2010, 07:19:19 PM »
I promised an update once all 4 cams were in place, so here ya go!

I'm using the following cameras:

Living Room: Linksys WVC54GCA
Garage: Airlink101 AIC250W
Back Porch: D-Link DCS-920
Study (Road): TrendNet TV-IP110W

I'm using them all wirelessly, they all have a reserved static IP based on their MAC address, each with a different associated port number because they each have their own Dynamic DNS. So not only can they be used by the iCam iPhone software I can also independently access each one via the Internet and view their video and/or access them as an Admin and modify their settings.

They were all very easy to set up too. Below is some basic info about each one.

If anyone has questions, beyond their regular features, about performance, GUI, quality, etc.. please just let me know.
Thanx!

pkfrancis

• View Profile
Re: 4 Internet IP Camera Recommendations (Wired & Wireless)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 06:02:11 PM »
Nice setup. I've just installed my first IP camera, but I'm having some issues getting the DynDNS working.  I was wondering if you could share a few more details of your setup?  I've tried various ports, port forwarding etc and can't seem to connect from my dyndns address.  Camera works fine on the internal network so I think I'm missing a forwarding/port option somewhere.  Driving me mad!

Many thanks, Paul..

xcalibr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2010, 09:22:52 PM »
I'm assuming you're using a router? Have you opened up your computer's IP for DMZ? Apple likes to use quite a few ports, make sure you're not assigning one of these: http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1629?viewlocale=en_US - Do you have any other devices that you're successfully able to access via port forwarding from a remote location?

pkfrancis

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 09:51:23 PM »
Thank you.  Yeah, I've tried both in and out of the DMZ.  The camera is currently on port 801 (which is forwarded) I think the issue is related to the fact that I have a wireless 3G gateway which in turn connects to a wi-fi router so I have two IP ranges.  Will keep trying :-)

xcalibr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 09:29:01 AM »
I've had some little experience with that type of set-up, but never with a webcam. It could very well be confusing which router/gateway is actually forwarding which port number.

pkfrancis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 04:07:29 PM »
Yeah - I think I have two problems.  I managed to get iCam on the iPhone working by getting the IP camera to connect directly to the 3G gateway. Unfortunately I don't think my wireless provider is allowing any inbound ports so I'm blocked at that end.  Am currently using wireless as a backup as the main ADSL2+ line is down.   I think once that's back up I have more control over which ports are blocked so will try again then..  Painful!