Author Topic: Linksys E3200 Router and Auto Config  (Read 2689 times)

seanhsmith

• View Profile
Linksys E3200 Router and Auto Config
« on: October 17, 2012, 08:12:46 AM »
Hi all,

Let me start off by saying that iCam was the best $5 I've ever spent on an app and one of the few that I truly use on a daily basis! :)

I just wanted to drop a note and make you guys aware of an issue I've discovered after recently upgrading my router. Previously, I had been using a Linksys WRT54GL (802.11g) router and I was running the third-party DD-WRT v24 firmware. With this router, I had been using the "Auto config router" option in iCamSource and everything worked fine and dandy. A couple of months ago, I decided it was finally time to upgrade from 802.11g to 802.11n and I ended up getting a Linksys E3200. Everything seems to be great with the router... except the "Auto config router" option in iCamSource no longer worked. After doing some debugging of my own, it appears as though the method iCamSource uses to open up the ports via UPnP does not work with the Linksys E3200 -- even with the latest Linksys firmware. The strange thing is that other things do seem to work with UPnP, specifically my Xbox 360. I found a tool called "UPnP Port Tester" that I was able to use to connect to my router and see what UPnP ports/services were open on the router and while I see the Xbox360 listed, nothing ever shows up from iCamSource.

This isn't a huge inconvenience as I've simply stopped using the "Auto config router" option and manually port forwarded ports 12000 to 12100 and everything is working properly again but I just wanted to bring it to your attention. Have a great day!

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Linksys E3200 Router and Auto Config
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2012, 12:14:14 PM »
Thank you for bringing it to our attention and for the positive feedback!  :)

wfiveash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 08:24:25 AM »

This isn't a huge inconvenience as I've simply stopped using the "Auto config router" option and manually port forwarded ports 12000 to 12100 and everything is working properly again but I just wanted to bring it to your attention. Have a great day!

I have a Linksys 4200 and have had the same issue with iCamsource in that UPnP port forwarding isn't working.  I also have to set the port forwarding for iCam manually.  I run other apps that are able to use UPnP with my router to set up port forwarding so I'm thinking this is something that needs attention on iCamsource.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 12:41:15 AM »
It's always possible that there is an issue with iCamSource, however iCamSource uses a standard UPnP library that's used by many other programs. Most programs use UPnP to open TCP ports, while iCamSource uses it to open UDP ports. That might explain the differing behavior you are seeing.