Author Topic: Computer suggestion request  (Read 3041 times)

rjgvt

• View Profile
Computer suggestion request
« on: August 24, 2012, 04:02:38 PM »
Quick overview: I currently have two Windows XP desktops running Icamsource, one at home and one at remote location.

Remote computer is a generic XP Pro and I can remote into is when there is an issue. There is nothing else running on that computer except Icamsource and cpu usage is low. 2 Logitech Pro 9000 webcams and 1 Airlink IP cam are running on that computer.

Home computer is a Dell Dimension 2400 with XP Home edition. Icamsource is running 1 Logitech Pro 9000 webcam and 3 Airlink IP cams (2 at remote location and 1 at home). CPU usage is as high as 95%. I would like to replace this computer with a new Windows 7 Pro or Ultimate and be able to run up to 4 webcams and 4 or more IP cams. I want to be able to remote into this computer. Any recommendations for a PC based computer to be a wazoo Icamsource machine >$1000. If a Mac computer will do all this I'm open, but know nothing about them. Thanks.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Computer suggestion request
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 09:03:02 PM »
My only concern would be whether or not a computer can power 4 USB webcams at once (they need to be plugged directly into the computer or using active extension cables plugged directly into the computer...but this option would use more power than just the cameras). I'm guessing there's no way to tell without actually trying it. If the computer is only going to be running icamsource, you shouldn't need anything too fancy to monitor 8 cameras. My 5+ year old computer easily monitors 4 IP cameras (one with audio)...using 20% CPU. My processor is an Intel E6600 (Core 2 Duo @ 2.40GHz). If you're wanting to use the computer for other things, you can build your own system and have much better quality overall...although better quality will cost you more. But again, my initial concern...there's no telling if the computer will be able to run all 4 USB webcams at once. The USB hub on the motherboard has to provide enough power to each camera. With that being said, I know Mac Mini's have (or had) an underpowered USB hub. I seems like there's someone on this forum that is running 3 or 4 USB cameras on a PC, but I can't remember who.

If you get a system and it can't run all 4 cameras at once (each plugged directly into the computer), you could try plugging 2 of them directly into the computer, and then plugging the other 2 into a powered USB hub, which will be plugged directly into the computer. It's all hit or miss when you start maxing out the USB power limits. Could you use 3 USB cameras and 5 IP cameras instead? That would be much more likely to work for sure.

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2012, 12:34:24 PM »
I could probably get away with 2 or 3 webcams, but like the image of the Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 for daytime viewing compared to the IP cams. I still like having IP cams, especially the indoor ones with IR for night vision and can always see what's going on remotely with a smart phone app in case the computer/Icamsource program freezes. My Dell desktop is such a pig when running Icamsource. I cleaned unneeded programs, got rid of Norton and added AVG, etc. I'll keep the Dell for the stuff that's on it and have a Windows 7 Pro built at a local computer store for running cams and Icamsource. I use a Windows 7 Home version laptop for daily computer stuff.

FYI....Newegg is selling the Logitech Webcam Pro 9000 for $39.99 with free shipping, limit 5. I bought 2 last week since Logitech doesn't have it listed on their website of current webcams.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2012, 01:50:41 AM »
Consider building your own system...it's pretty fun/rewarding...and most likely cheaper than having a local store build it for you. Of course, if anything goes wrong that isn't warranty related, it's on you. If you do have someone build it for you, price the parts at newegg so you have an idea of what it should cost. If you're not gaming, you'd likely be fine with the graphics chip included with the motherboard (if it has integrated graphics). Get at least 6-8GB RAM. Since your computer will most likely be on 24/7, get a decent power supply (I prefer ANTEC, but there are other good ones out there). Also, since it will be on 24/7, you could also use your computer as a DVR. I got a Hauppauge DCR-2650 (external cable card dual digital tuner) so I could record up to 2 shows at a time. Since Win 7 Pro includes Media Center, the digital tuner is the only thing missing from turning your computer into a pretty good DVR. Throw a Blue Ray DVD player into your system, hook it up to your LCD/LED TV with a HDMI cable and to your stereo, and you've got a pretty awesome media system (with a giant monitor if you have a big TV). If you plan on going that route, though, you'd want to invest in at least a mid-range graphics card ($50-100). For the motherboard, I'd try to find one that offers at least 4-6 USB 2.0 ports, and preferably at least 2 USB 3.0 ports...and I'm sure most have this...a USB header on the motherboard so you can hook up extra USB ports that are built into the front of your computer case. Make sure your case has good ventilation...I like 120mm fans to keep the air circulating through the box, but that's just my preference. And the fans you use are important...get quality fans with low sound level ratings if you want it to be quiet. Crappy fans can make it sound like it's a jet preparing for takeoff. Once you get this system built, you'll forget all about that old Dell. Yank the hard drive out of it and recycle that thing so it isn't taking up space and wasting electricity. :)

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 06:33:32 PM »
Thanks for the advice Anthony. I'm guessing you're as addicted to Icamsource as I am.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 06:41:06 PM by rjgvt »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 10:54:21 AM »
Haha...just slightly...500+ posts on here...running icamsource 24/7 as a service with computer automatically rebooting upon loss of power with multiple camera...love it! I'm a computer nerd in general...and iCam lets me utilize the computer very affordably and effectively as a security tool. Can't complain about that!

rjgvt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 12:32:16 PM »
Does your computer log in automatically after power up? I have an XP Pro at remote location and can log in after boot up. Was looking at Windows 7 Pro for home for same reason.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2012, 12:57:05 PM »
No, I run icamsource as a service so no user has to be logged in when the computer initially boots up....in other words, icamsource runs automatically shortly after the computer boots and without anyone touching/logging into the computer. I've successfully configured it this way in XP Pro, Vista, Win 7 Pro (32-bit) and Win 7 Home (64-bit) over a couple of years.