Author Topic: Autorestart after power failure  (Read 4582 times)

qvilorio

• View Profile
Autorestart after power failure
« on: August 23, 2012, 05:14:50 AM »
Hi,

I have one Cisco WVC210 wirelessly connected to my icamsource machine (Mac mini, who has a UPS), since we live in a country with many power outages, everytime time this happens I would have to either restart the icamsource service or reboot the camera, and let me tell you is a pain in the neck, and putting a UPS to camera is a no-go. Is there anyway I could either recycle the camera or icamsource service automatically after a power outage? if so, how?.

Thanks,

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Autorestart after power failure
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 06:01:24 AM »
Check this out...read the parts applying to Macs:

http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=4177.0

qvilorio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 09:17:47 AM »
Many thanks for your reply, however in my case the computer always stays on (UPS), the camera is the one who shuts off after a power failure, after that happens icamsource shows an error complaining that it cannot find de MJpeg database or something, because it is looking for the camera that is actually power cycling, then icamsource stays num, if it only can really auto-restart when it detects a connection failure with the camera, that will solve my problem. Any ideas?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 09:25:02 AM »
Ohhh, I see. Can you put the camera on the UPS with the computer? If you were on a PC, there'd probably be a way to stop/start icamsource after battery power is detected...but I don't know how to do that on a Mac. Sorry. Hopefully a Mac person can help you out though. Aen333 from that other thread I referenced seems to know his way around a Mac. You could try sending him a private message:

http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=2053

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 03:31:20 PM »
If the camera goes offline the iCamSource should periodically try to re-connect to it, so as long as the camera reconnects to your WiFi network with the same IP address it *should* eventually reconnect. Is that not the case? Is the camera re-connecting to your network when the power comes back on?

qvilorio

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2012, 03:34:03 PM »
Hi Stefan,

Thanks for your response, but it really does not, I would have to press the stop and start button in order to get icamsource running back again. It seems it only tries once and it does it quicker than the reboot of the camera. I can visualize the image through the browser after the camera reboots, but icamsource just stays num. What now?

qvilorio

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2012, 02:17:42 PM »
Hello,

I"m still on a limb, every time there is a blackout the camera restarts, icamsource looks for a camera that has not reboot completely yet, and error comes up and I loose the image even though I can log into my server remotely and watch my the camera image from my server's browser. The in order to get the service run back again, I will have to click stop, and the start so icamsource can see the camera again. If a bugler comes during a power outage, I'm toast, so good for surveillance... Please help.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2012, 03:48:14 PM »
Unfortunately during my tests the iCamSource does work as expected. (It is able to eventually find the camera when it comes back online.)

Are you running the latest version of the iCamSource? If you try simulating a blackout by unplugging the IP camera, waiting about 5 minutes, and then plugging it back in, does the iCamSource still fail to find it?

qvilorio

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 10:05:22 AM »
Hi,

I have been testing it, and it is not a matter of only shutting of the cam, in other to recreate the situation, your will also need the shut off the dsl modem, router and switches. It sometimes comes up after a while, but most of the times I will have to restart the icamsource server. You will need to further check the autostart feature, recreating a real blackout.

Thanks again,

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 05:50:10 PM »
Ok, we'll try and replicate it using that scenario.