Author Topic: Yet one more question about sound/iCam  (Read 9097 times)

Jaye

• View Profile
Yet one more question about sound/iCam
« on: August 20, 2012, 05:36:24 PM »
I'm embarrassed to ask this, because I've read posts all over the web and, frankly, I'm becoming more confused by the minute (definite newbie when it comes to configuring stuff).

I have iCam on my MacBook (running Mountain Lion - just downloaded your update for that) and my desktop Mac (running Tiger 10.4.11) Currently, I'm using the iSight cameras in both and love the program (have used it for over a year now to watch my dogs while I'm at work). The laptop has sound when I log in...dogs barking like crazy, etc. The desktop has NEVER transmitted sound, no matter what I try. Sound is turned up in the blasted thing. Drives me nuts trying to figure it out.

The more important question for me right now is that pesky IP wireless camera for Mac question. I'm leaning toward the Foscam or Airlink, but when you say "no sound" for them does that mean no "two way sound" even though the Foscam, at least, is rigged for it or do you mean absolutely NO SOUND...won't know if doggies are barking and whining at all.  That would be the deal breaker for me.

I anticipate hours of set up, from all I've read, and it terrifies me, but I need a wireless webcam for the second floor of my house. I've also read things about lots of static on wireless webcams, which confuses me if it's not supposed to give me sound.

*sigh*  I waited until I almost absolutely need it, of course, so any reply would be greatly appreciated!

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Yet one more question about sound/iCam
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2012, 05:27:27 PM »
Do you have an iPhone or Android phone?

Currently, the only wireless cameras that iCamSource has audio support for are certain models of Airlink and Foscam cameras. All other wireless cameras, that output MJPEG or JPEG formatted data over HTTP, have video-only support in iCamSource (no audio). Audio support for WiFi Network IP cameras is discussed here: http://skjm.com/forum/index.php?topic=1416.0

Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Jaye

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 07:41:15 PM »
So...this camera, although it doesn't pan or tilt should do the trick for me and I could still hear the pups barking? I have an iPhone and iPad 2 and I run iCamSource off of both my Macbook and my Desktop Mac. From what I've read about the difficulty of hooking up a Foscam (even though I would LOVE the pan and tilt) it seems that I might have less headaches with the Airlink listed below. Do you agree?

Airlink101 AICN500W SkyIPCam500W Wireless Night Vision Network Camera
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:53:21 PM by Jaye »

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 11:29:54 PM »
I think SKJM wrote a little program to make it easier for Mac users to setup IP cameras on their system. I'm not sure if it's compatible with the Foscams, but I'd assume it's compatible with the Airlinks since they use those cameras. I don't know if it's free, or if it's even been released from beta though.

Don't expect much in the way of audio quality from an IP camera's microphone...there is a significant amount of background noise on my camera's microphone feed. You probably wouldn't be able to identify a specific person's voice or dog's bark, and there will be a delay between audio and video (even when you're iCam device is on the same network as the camera/microphone source). For me, the delay is at least a second when connected to the same network. I haven't bothered testing it from 3g, as I don't really need the audio. The reason for the poor audio quality is the compression used by the camera, I believe. I think it's 8-bit audio.

What you could do, if better audio quality is important, is hook up a microphone to your computer and use it as an audio source. You can't do this with IP cameras, though...so you'll need a USB webcam...or you can use a free program called ManyCam to act as a fake webcam (displaying a static image). Either way, you'd have a second camera (or static image) with a higher-quality audio feed.

You might also research H.264 IP cameras. They aren't compatible with iCam, but they might provide higher-quality audio (which might even be synchronized with the video). There are apps out there that support H.264 cameras, I believe...but you'll lack some/most of the features that iCam provides. There are even some cameras that provide both H.264 and mjpeg feeds...this would allow you significant flexibility (use it with iCam for mjpeg and another app for H.264)...but you wouldn't have audio in iCam (I don't think any of the audio-compatible cameras support both mjpeg and H.264).

Hope this helps some.

Jaye

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 04:36:05 AM »
Thanks, it does help! Looks like my best bet is to just keep lugging my laptop upstairs everyday to where my dogs spend their time, either that or shoot a USB cable up through my floor (don't think the husband would be too excited about that prospect). I appreciate your responses, folks!

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 06:49:43 AM »
Since you're going to do that, you could purchase a cheap USB webcam with a microphone ($30 Logitech C310?) or a more expensive USB webcam with microphone and pan/tilt ($110 Logitech Orbit AF...although I'm not sure if Logitech has released Mac drivers that will allow iCam to control the pan/tilt) if your computer doesn't already have a camera/microphone built in...and keep a set of powered desktop computer speakers ($15 or so) in the area where the dogs are kept. Then create a NEW Skype account (free), install Skype on your computer (free), and configure it to answer incoming calls automatically with video (free). Then on your phone, install the Skype app and create another new Skype account (or if you have a previous account that you use with friends, use it). Now add/accept the new account that you created for the computer. Now while you're out and about, you can call your computer at home using Skype and see/hear the dogs AND give them commands (which is why I mentioned having powered desktop computer speakers).

If you like the above idea, but also want to be able to use iCam for motion events, push notifications, etc, you can use the free ManyCam program I mentioned earlier to clone your webcam's video feed so that both programs can use it at the same time.

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2012, 11:11:28 PM »
After email support, it seems Jay led me to settings that iCamSource (Windows) likes.  My system after Jay's pushing, prodding, and leading has been stable now for 26-1/2 hours.  That's two IP Cameras, one USB camera all running on one older Windows XP netbook.

My Loftek CXS 2200 cameras are connected through my home wireless network, and audio does work!!  The Loftek IP camera appears to use FOSCAM URL commands.

Camera settings: 5 fps (or less), 640x480 resolution.

iCamSource Settings: URL: XXX.XXX.X.XXX:XXXX/video.cgi

Another example of iCam/iCamSource/iCamWeb Support - Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 11:13:45 PM by dkb52 »

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2012, 09:02:32 PM »
dkb52 - I'm glad it's working better for you!

Did you end up using JPEG mode in iCamSource, or are you still using MJPEG mode?

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2012, 07:40:26 AM »
Jay,

Still on JPeg mode. Still running!

Side Note:  I still lose IP cameras at times; however seems to only occur if I run IPC Monitor (came with cameras) at the same time as iCamSource.  Seems there may be some competition for video/audio control (duh?)

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2012, 07:51:37 PM »
It's possible they're competing with each other.  The cameras should be able to service requests from multiple sources simultaneously, though.

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2012, 09:50:49 PM »
I am "still experimenting."  My Windows computer seems to handle all three cameras so far.  I have noticed (in IPC Monitor), the frame rate jumps back up to 10 - 20 fps.

I accessed the IP camera settings through LAN, and they are still set to 5 fps; so I am uncertain at this point, if iCamSource is accessing that setting, or "tapping into" IPC Monitor's use of higher fps when both programs are running.

Note: iCamSource with three cameras are running on a Windows XP netbook, I monitor and access the cameras through LAN/WAN on another notebook.

I'll try to keep a close watch!  BTW, I switched back to MJPEG, and all still appears OK.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 10:01:46 PM by dkb52 »