Author Topic: Frame rate great on Mac, Terrible on PC  (Read 6657 times)

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Frame rate great on Mac, Terrible on PC
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2012, 11:42:11 AM »
Nothing like that... in fact one of the systems I'm testing it on is a brand new Dell workstation which has been reformatted and has a fresh vanilla copy of windows 7 installed.

Other thoughts?  I'm tempted to take a video of the performance to show what I'm talking about... surely it can't be just me with this problem though, is it?

Are the Mac and the PC's connected to the same router?  How do you connect to the router (ethernet or Wi-Fi?)?

Also, if you could go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ from the computer running the iCamSource and send your external IP address to support@skjm.com so we can attempt to look it up in the Broker Server logs and hopefully troubleshoot the problem. Please reference this forum post and your user name in your email.

gleep52

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 08:17:42 AM »
On a strange note:  I installed OSX as a virtual machine (as a test) on my Windows 7 PC and iCamsource runs smooth in the OSX VM... so the code for OSX must be more efficient than the windows counterpart... can this be looked into?

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 09:38:27 PM »
Please let us know if the Mac and the PC's connected to the same router and how you connect to the router (ethernet or Wi-Fi?)?

Also, please go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ from the computer running the iCamSource and send your external IP address to support@skjm.com so we can attempt to look it up in the Broker Server logs and hopefully troubleshoot the problem. Please reference this forum post and your user name in your email.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 09:39:32 PM »
I came across this post because I too am not impressed with iCam's quality of video.

I read the comment: "On 3G, Apple requires us to keep the framerate less than 1 frame every 2 seconds (0.5 fps).  This has been the limit since iCam was first released." and this makes sense, it isn't your fault.

How do other developers get around this, like JumiCam? I use this as well and frame rate is very fast however it does not have the excellent motion detection I rely on like iCamSource.

This app would be nearly perfect if the quality of streaming could be improved over 3G. I get a notify that there is motion in my apartment but the people moving appear to move and vanish and its really tough to see whats going on. You'd think in this age of crazy fast fiber internet speeds and decent 3G/4G speeds I'd be watching at 30FPS haha. In my dreeaaaammss I suppose.

We will look at Jumicam to see if we can bring some improved streaming capability to iCam when connecting via 3G.