Author Topic: "Source Connection Error" Explanation and Solutions  (Read 26622 times)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
"Source Connection Error" Explanation and Solutions
« on: January 11, 2009, 10:27:18 PM »
If you are receiving the "Source Connection Error - One or more of the iCamSources returned by the iCam Broker could not be connected to." iCam error message, here are some things that you can do:

Are you trying to connect when your iPhone or iPod Touch is connected to the same WiFi network as the computer running the iCamSource? If so, try temporarily disabling WiFi on your iPhone and see if you can connect via 3G/EDGE. (Or, if you are on an iPod Touch, try connecting from another WiFi network.) If you can now connect, then the most likely cause of your problem is that the internal network IP address that the iPhone is reporting is not on the same internal network as the one reported by your computer running the iCamSource.

What does this mean? Well, internal IP addresses are given out to devices that connect to your router, either via an ethernet wire or wirelessly though WiFi. These IP addresses can look like 10.x.x.x or 192.168.x.x or 172.x.x.x (where 'x' can pretty much be any number between 0 and 255). If the first three numbers of your computer's internal IP address do not match the first three number of your iPhone's internal IP address, then this generally means that they are not going to be able to connect to each other.

Now, you may ask, what is the cause of this? Both my iPhone and my MacBook Pro connect via WiFi to the same router? Well, if you are getting this error message chances are your Built-In Ethernet Adapter on your Mac either has an ethernet cable plugged into it or has an IP address assigned to it. If there is a cable plugged in that isn't connected to anything, simply unplug it. If that still doesn't work, then you can go into System Preferences > Network and see if there is an IP address assigned to your Built-In Ethernet Adapter. If there is, you can either change the setting to DHCP or Off, to disable it. That way you can be sure that the iCamSource will choose your WiFi adapter's IP address to report when connecting to the iCam Broker Server and iCam.

If you have any questions or need any further clarification, you can always post a reply in this thread or e-mail support@skjm.com

Thanks!  8)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: "Source Connection Error" Explanation and Solutions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 10:46:30 PM »
UPDATE : If your computer currently connects to two different internal networks then unplugging your ethernet cable may not be an option. Since this is the case, we are working on update to the iCamSource which will solve this problem without you having to make any further configuration changes to your network setup.

Stay tuned. :)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 06:59:48 PM »
UPDATE #2 - This issue was fixed in the latest version of the Mac iCamSource, version 1.0.11

:)

canuno

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 01:37:20 PM »
Hi, I Have the same "Source Connection Error". 

I have the iCamSource v1.0.12, Mac OS X V10.5.6, and iPhone3G.   It works when I use the WiFi connection (inside the network), but when I switch my internet connection in my iPhone to the 3G I got the "Source Connection Error".  I have a Mikrotik Router, and I donĀ“t know if I need to forward some ports, or allow to use some UDP connections...

Thx 4 ur help.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2009, 03:38:53 PM »
canuno,

In order to diagnose your problem, we're going to need some more information about your particular network.

Please send an email to support@skjm.com that refers to this forum thread.  Then we can get more info about your network configuration.

cedoch

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2009, 09:00:39 AM »
I have the same problem.

I was connected without problem over 3G many times this morning, and i tried to connect another time over 3G this afternoon but i got the 'Source Connection Error"... Nothing changed at home. What can i do ? I've got the last versions of iCam.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2009, 09:53:50 AM »
cedoch - If you try tapping the refresh button in the bottom-left corner of the screen, do you continue to get the Source Connection Error? If so, could you then go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/ and e-mail what it says your external IP address is to support@skjm.com? Please include your forum user name in the message, so we know that it's you. :)

cedoch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 09:25:00 AM »
When i use the refresh button i got the same result. I tried 2 hours later (always in 3G) and it worked !

The IP on my computer is fixed, it never change. Do you need it ? Or do you need the IP of my iPhone ?

Regards.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 10:41:24 AM »
cedoch - What version of the iCamSource are you running, Windows or Mac? Is it version 1.1.1?

GenevaGuy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 10:12:42 AM »
canuno,

In order to diagnose your problem, we're going to need some more information about your particular network.

Please send an email to support@skjm.com that refers to this forum thread.  Then we can get more info about your network configuration.

I have the same problem. Works fine over WiFi but not from 3G.  My IP Address is 92.105.213.20
Your help much appreciated.

Thanks,

Guy

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 04:48:28 PM »
GenevaGuy is getting tech support for this issue through email.  If any new info comes out of it, I'll post it to this thread.

yoyosma

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2009, 10:50:09 PM »
I just purchased iCam 1.1, on iPhone 3G, downloaded iCamSource 1.1.1, on iMac 10.5.6, using built-in iSight, and get the error message "Source Connection Error".  Because of my EVDO card incompatibility with my router, I can't get wifi so my Mac is plugged in via ethernet cable.  Do I need wifi to get this to work?  thx.

Edit: So I got my router to kick out wifi. Have my iPhone setting wifi On. And it works. As soon as I turn wifi on iPhone off it doesn't work again.

So my question is, does iCam only work when your iPhone is in a wifi area?

« Last Edit: March 11, 2009, 08:13:43 AM by yoyosma »

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2009, 11:26:55 AM »
yoyosma - Thank you for e-mailing us your IP address. I was able to look it up in the iCam Broker Server logs and will be sending you an e-mail shortly. :)

ben

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2009, 03:21:48 AM »
hi
thanks for a great app
m problem is a sourse connection error. i can access the camera on my internal wifi but not on 3g or edge my external ip address is 81.153.176.59 and my router is a belkin wireless n
any help would be appreciated
thanks
ben

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2009, 08:16:22 AM »
ben - I sent you an e-mail asking for some more information. :)