Author Topic: Having a number of connection issues with iCam  (Read 2235 times)

wfiveash

• View Profile
Having a number of connection issues with iCam
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:29:41 AM »
I'm having a number of issues that leave me very dissatisfied with the iCam system.  What I have now is a Mac Mini at my house with a USB web cam from Logitech which is working fine.  The iCamSource app on the Mac is configured to use UPnP port config which appears to be working properly.  I can connect to my web cam at home via the iCam app on my iPhone if I am connected to any non-firewalled WiFi, not just at my house, however when the phone is using 3G Internet access most of the time (19 out of 20 times) I get a "Source Connection Error".  Also, I am unable to connect to my web cam if I am on my work network which does block a number of types of network traffic (this applies to either the iCam phone app or the beta java/webbrowser based app).  There are HTTP proxies available however and given I can use these proxies to ssh to my home system from work and other network apps like Dropbox and Skype are functional with these proxies I expect that the iCam system should be as well. SKJM needs to fix these issues before I would recommend this system to anyone at this point.

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: Having a number of connection issues with iCam
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:13:01 PM »
Do you have uPNP enabled on your router? Do you see any uPNP success or error messages in icamsource?

wfiveash

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:18:04 PM »
Yes, I have UPnP enabled on the router.  As I said before, I am able to connect to my web cam with the iCam Iphone app and the web browser/java viewer when on WiFi networks outside my house.  Given this UPnP must be working in regards to the port forwarding, yes?

OUAnthony

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 12:57:07 PM »
I don't think that's necessarily true...I've experienced a similar issue in the past (before I set up manual port forwarding). Or it could be that your cell provider is blocking specific ports (similar to your employer's network). You might check icamsource for success or error messages concerning uPNP first. Also, post your cell provider...I'm sure the SKJM guys will get back to you if there's a known issue with a specific cell provider. Oh, you might also try unchecking the "auto router config" box in icamsource to see if that makes a difference. Sounds crazy, but for one-camera systems, I think it usually works better.

wfiveash

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 01:49:57 PM »
Your advice of manually configuring UDP port forwarding of 12000-12100 appears to have solved my intermittent connection problems when on a 3G cellular data network.  It is unfortunate that using UPnP with my router resulted in a setup that partially worked, just enough to confuse me.  It's also unfortunate that the router, a Linksys E4200, doesn't provide more diagnostic ability like being able to see exactly what ports are being forwarded via UPnP.