Author Topic: iCamSource 2.4.6 BETA - Motion Event Image Minimum  (Read 17587 times)

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
iCamSource 2.4.6 BETA - Motion Event Image Minimum
« on: May 31, 2012, 03:40:21 PM »
One of the most requested features that we receive from our users is the ability to assign a minimum threshold for the number of images required for a stored Motion Event. Depending on what type of scene a camera is viewing, iCamSources can end up accumulating large numbers of 1- and 2-image Motion Events which are of little use and are ultimately deleted.

Well now with version 2.4.6 BETA of the iCamSource you can assign a Motion Event Image Minimum for each camera in the bottom-right corner of the Motion Detection tab. You can assign a minimum value of 1 (the default) up to 9. The value represents the minimum required number of images that must be contained in a Motion Event for it to be retained during the periodic trimming process that occurs every 5 minutes or so.

(The most recent Motion Event will not be removed during the trimming process if it falls below the minimum, but all older Motion Events will be subject to removal if they do not contain the minimum number of images.)

* Since this is a BETA release we would recommend backing up any Motion Events that you do not want accidentally deleted in case there are still some issues to work out with the trimming logic.

The new versions can be downloaded below.

Windows - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSetup2.4.6.exe

Mac OS X

When Mac OS X 10.8 (Mountain Lion) is released this summer it will contain a security feature called Gatekeeper (http://www.apple.com/macosx/mountain-lion/security.html) that by default will limit third-party Mac apps that are not downloaded from the Mac App Store or digitally signed by the developer. In order to prepare for Mountain Lion, we are going to be releasing two versions of the Mac iCamSource, one for Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5 (Tiger & Leopard) and one for Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and later.

Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5 do not have the ability to run digitally signed applications, so that is why they will need a separate build version.

Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and later - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource2.4.6.dmg
Mac OS X 10.4 & 10.5 (Tiger & Leopard) - http://skjm.com/icam/iCamSource_Tiger_Leopard_2.4.6.dmg

As always, if anyone has any questions, issues, or comments about the functionality, please let us know.

Thanks! :)

OUAnthony

• View Profile
Re: iCamSource 2.4.6 BETA - Motion Event Image Minimum
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2012, 12:48:39 PM »
Awesome! Does it maintain support for Foscam audio and pan/tilt? If so, I'm gonna try it now...

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
Yes, it should contain all of the additional changes put into previous beta versions.

Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2012, 09:08:06 AM »
I upgraded last night and ran iCam through the night.  This morning on one of the cameras it had a single image and the Event Image Min was set at 2.  I have a couple of questions;

1.  Does this just trim after the motion sense has been detected and recorded or does it never record the event? 
2.  Does it just remove the frames selected of a motion event?  If it had 3 frames and 2 was selected, then only two of the frames would show up.
3.  If I select two frames for the Min, will it still send a notification to my iPhone on a single motion event (preferably not)?

Just trying to understand while I test...

Merlin

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2012, 11:01:39 AM »
I upgraded last night and ran iCam through the night.  This morning on one of the cameras it had a single image and the Event Image Min was set at 2.  I have a couple of questions;

1.  Does this just trim after the motion sense has been detected and recorded or does it never record the event? 
2.  Does it just remove the frames selected of a motion event?  If it had 3 frames and 2 was selected, then only two of the frames would show up.
3.  If I select two frames for the Min, will it still send a notification to my iPhone on a single motion event (preferably not)?

Just trying to understand while I test...

Merlin

To answer your questions:

1. The event is recorded and later trimmed, yes. A new motion event is created when motion has not been detected for at least 30 seconds. When a new event is created it is still unknown at that moment how many images it will ultimately contain, so it does need to be recorded and later trimmed if necessary.
2. No, only entire motion events are removed that do not meet the threshold. So in your example, a motion event with 3 images would not be removed or effected if the minimum was set to 2. A motion event with 1 image would be deleted completely. Additionally, if the minimum was set to 5 then any motion event that did not contain at least 5 images would be completely removed.
3. The motion event setting is separate from the push notification setting, so yes, it would still send a notification.

Since you had the minimum set to 2 and woke up to see a single motion event with a single image then that was most likely the most recent detection of motion, with other single-image motion events having been trimmed off. When motion is next detected that single image event will also be trimmed.

Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2012, 11:29:22 AM »
All appears to be functioning as you anticipated thus far.  It would actually be great if it were tied into the push notifications so that I did not get signaled on a shadow change that contained one frame.  I would just like to say that I am very pleased with how much you support the app and are constantly striving to improve it.  Thanks for all your continuing efforts and I will be sending yet another contribution.

Merlin

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2012, 08:52:12 AM »
All appears to be functioning as you anticipated thus far.  It would actually be great if it were tied into the push notifications so that I did not get signaled on a shadow change that contained one frame.  I would just like to say that I am very pleased with how much you support the app and are constantly striving to improve it.  Thanks for all your continuing efforts and I will be sending yet another contribution.

Merlin

We are looking into thresholding motion detection for push notifications as well. The logic we will have to use will be different than what we implemented for the recording of motion events, but it should still give users the desired control over their notifications.

And as always, thank you for the contribution and support. :)

Berlingoman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 01:16:54 AM »
I would love this fixed  ;D

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2012, 09:09:09 AM »
I would love this fixed  ;D

Is there an issue with the 2.4.6 BETA version?

Berlingoman

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 10:45:46 AM »
Yes and you are allready looking into it:

"We are looking into thresholding motion detection for push notifications as well. The logic we will have to use will be different than what we implemented for the recording of motion events, but it should still give users the desired control over their notifications."

I'm happy about the option to leave out 1-2 etc. frames but the program would be even better when option to not be notified about these also.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2012, 04:10:12 PM »
Oh, okay. Good deal. :)

Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2012, 07:04:03 PM »
I haven't had any issues other than I still get the occasional image set below the threshold.  An example is the threshold is set to 2 and there is a recording with 1 image displayed in the motion events folder.  It is rare but it does occur.  What is the time frame for the deletion of images?  That might explain why I see them occasionally and that I am alerted to the image.  Therefore I may be going in too quickly to view.

Thanks,
Merlin

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 12:20:50 PM »
I haven't had any issues other than I still get the occasional image set below the threshold.  An example is the threshold is set to 2 and there is a recording with 1 image displayed in the motion events folder.  It is rare but it does occur.  What is the time frame for the deletion of images?  That might explain why I see them occasionally and that I am alerted to the image.  Therefore I may be going in too quickly to view.

Thanks,
Merlin

With the current logic you could still see a single event that is below the threshold if it is most recent event. The logic is applied about every 5 minutes, but the most recent motion event is always skipped in case it is currently growing / being added to. I think for the next version (which will include notification throttling) I will also add logic to check the most recent event if it is old enough to guarantee that it is no longer being added to.

dkb52

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 07:40:40 AM »
I think the new version is GREAT!  I too have had the occasional one-image event; but based upon the time-stamp, I'm convinced it was recorded in between the trim processes.

I know it's almost impossible to please everybody; but I am NOT comfortable (at this time) with linking the motion threshold with push notifications.  I already experience a 10 to 15 second delay between motion detection and receiving the push.  I would rather not have to wait an additional 5 minutes (or more) for the trim process to notify me of motion based upon the threshold setting.

I found (as mentioned) the motion event threshold setting under the Motion Tab.  What is the setting (same location) on the camera tab for?  It doesn't appear to change anything for me.

If the setting on the camera tab is unassigned, perhaps it could be used to set the push notice.  Rather than receive a push for 1 one-image event, the user could use it to not receive a push until 3 event images have recorded.  I would still be uncomfortable though, having a build in delay while the trim logic decided to send a push or not.

Stefan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 03:11:10 PM »
I think the new version is GREAT!  I too have had the occasional one-image event; but based upon the time-stamp, I'm convinced it was recorded in between the trim processes.

I know it's almost impossible to please everybody; but I am NOT comfortable (at this time) with linking the motion threshold with push notifications.  I already experience a 10 to 15 second delay between motion detection and receiving the push.  I would rather not have to wait an additional 5 minutes (or more) for the trim process to notify me of motion based upon the threshold setting.

We're currently working on the next version that will include a threshold for notifications that will be separate from the motion event image minimum, yes. :)

I found (as mentioned) the motion event threshold setting under the Motion Tab.  What is the setting (same location) on the camera tab for?  It doesn't appear to change anything for me.

The numerical drop-down list located to the right of the iCam Password edit box is the Thumbnail Sort Order Index. If you are connecting to more than one camera and would like the thumbnail order to be the same every time you connect you can specify the sort order by selecting a different index for each camera.