Author Topic: Labeling the video sources  (Read 2156 times)

Beyondthetech

• View Profile
Labeling the video sources
« on: August 30, 2009, 11:03:42 AM »
I purchased iCam and the push notifications plug-in, and they both work great. You can thank TUAW for premiering your app on the site.

I would like to suggest a few features, which I feel are very viable to implement.  I currently have 4 machines that are running iCamSource.

1. I read that people previously requested delaying push-on-motion until they have at least left the room. I agree with that feature request on the desktop app, but for people with multiple sources like myself, I would like to see the implementation done on the iPhone app level to all the sources simultaneously. Clicking on a button will toggle all sources on and off for push-on-motion.

2. Since I have four sources, it's impossible to tell which is which when all the lights are out.  This is especially difficult when everytime you launch the app, the sources are not loaded in any particular order. Can you add a caption or label in both the single and multiple view modes?

Again, excellent product and I hope you keep up the great work!

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Labeling the video sources
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 04:30:08 PM »
Thanks for those suggestions.  I know this isn't exactly what you were referring to, but if you want to disable all notifications from iCam (if you have multiple cameras) you can do that in iPhone Settings -> Notifications -> iCam.  The cam label feature has been requested by other users in the past, and it is on our list of potential features to add in the future.

Beyondthetech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 02:05:57 PM »
While turning off notifications on the iPhone via the Settings panel is a viable solution, wouldn't all the unnecessary notifications being sent from my Macs through your servers be wasteful bandwidth?  That's the reason why I would want the ability to turn it off at the source (pun intended).  I would only need it on when I'm away from my home for a period of time.

Jay

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 06:28:31 PM »
Yes, there would be a small amount of unnecessary bandwidth usage in that case.  For a single iCamSource, the bandwidth we're talking about is pretty small.  It's when all the notifications from all the users add together that the bandwidth usage on the server becomes significant.

Unfortunately, iCam doesn't currently have that global notification setting in-app, so I was suggesting the iPhone notification settings as an alternative.