Author Topic: ipCam crashing issues  (Read 4530 times)

lmco_eng

• View Profile
ipCam crashing issues
« on: May 01, 2012, 05:24:45 AM »
I'm having the ipCam crashing issues.  I'm using an iPhone 3GS (32GB) that has the SIM card removed and has been wiped of everything but iOS5.1 and ipCAM.  The only app running is ipCam.  I really like the app but it is useless if it doesn't run continuously.

I can't see the camera images after about eight hours; often less and seldom more than 8 hours.  I am viewing the iPhone 3GS images from my iPhone 4S.  It doesn't seem to matter if I'm viewing the 3GS images within the LAN or over the internet. 

I don't care about audio, though I can see it's application.

Any hints as to how to make ipCam run forever on a 3GS?  I'm planning a long trip an would like to have the 3GS be an additional security camera.  (I have 8 Foscam cameras on the same network.)  Over 30 network devices are on my LAN.  No problems accessing them locally or remotely 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ipCam crashing issues
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:50:27 PM »
If ipCam is crashing, there should be crash logs.

Here is the direct link for specific instructions on how to locate crash logs from your iPhone: http://aplus.rs/apple/how-to-find-crash-logs-for-iphone-applications-on-mac-vista-and-xp/

If you find crash logs, please send the most recent one to support@skjm.com. Please reference this post and your username in your email.

lmco_eng

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 02:49:10 PM »
I've not found any crash reports related to ipCam. 

To try something - I've changed only the "Image Size" to Medium and ipCam ran for about 36 hours.  I'll try changing "Image Size" to Small and see if ipCam run-time improves.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:45:24 PM »
Looking forward to the result.

lmco_eng

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2012, 12:39:46 PM »
It seems no matter what settings I use, I can't seem to get ipCam to operate more than 36 hours.  I've not seen any log files.

To see what is going on, take a look through the camera at http://71.240.189.226:12345  (No user/password required...)

Fore the rest of the day (or until the ipCam App dies) this iPhone camera is available for viewing.  

Maybe the iPhone itself is the problem!?

:(

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 06:56:20 PM »
We've had ipCam running for days testing on a 3GS without crashing. Is the video stream constantly being accessed while it is running or is only periodically being connected to?

lmco_eng

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 11:21:24 AM »
I look at the 3GS video whenever iCamSource sends me notice of movement on that camera.  On bright, clowdy and windy days there is a lot of movement and I get many notices.

So, yes. ICamSource is watching the feed from the 3GS camera all the time.  I use iCam, the iPhone's Safari browser, and some other iphone apps (trying many...) to also view the 3GS camera feed.

I'm beginning to think it may be my 3GS iPhone.  I borrowed another 3GS that has been running ipCam for several days (since Tuesday AM).  The longest sequential run yet. Look at  http://71.240.189.226:12344  It is on the same wifi router.

Unless room lighting is an issue, both 3GS phones are configured the same. I used an iTunes 3GS restore file to make them both the same configuration. Only the local IP address and assigned network port is different.  I'll swap 3GS camera locations tonight and see if anything changes over the weekend.

SKJM Support

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 10:48:07 PM »
Looking forward to the results.

lmco_eng

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 07:36:55 PM »
I'm confident it is my iPhone 3GS that is bad. The borrowed iPhone 3GS has worked fine for over a week.